Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:37 am 

I am using the wiring as suggested here for Fast track turnouts using the Tortoise switch machine with a gapped, live frog and number 2 and 3 wires to reverse polarity. And I have done that and everything works fine. But I also don't want to rely on rail joiners for power from connecting tracks.

Therefore, I did solder some feeders on the stock rails. But am wondering if I could also solder feeders to the frog rails between the frog rail gaps and the rail joiners connecting the track attached as added assurance in case the rail joiners fail.

Does anyone else do this?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:41 am 

YES! Absolutely. My rule is that EVERY piece of rail has an electrical solder feed. Most all rail joiners are NOT soldered to allow for expansion and contraction of the roadway. But every rail head has electrical connection that is soldered.

For the smaller rails (some code 55 and some very limited code 40) - each rail has two soldered feeders. The rail itself has enough resistance to need extra feeders.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:44 pm 

I will also echo Ed's advice and add that I too also solder a feeder to every piece of rail on my layout. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:42 am 

I will be using a pair of 6mm wires under the entire length of each track and using 3mm feeders up to each section of rail. Yes it is probably overkill, but I don't want to rip up anything and re-wire it down the track.

So to speak. :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]