[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Double Crossover wiring

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:48 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:42 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:22 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:48 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:06 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:27 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:43 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:52 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:05 am 

Sorry ro resurrect an old thread gents. The DC wiring calls for a 12 volt really. I was wondering if this little guy would be sufficient?

http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Produ ... ct=2750249

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:24 am 

Yes, the control of the relay is only 60ma, and the contacts can handle 5a - more than sufficient. Good find at a reasonable price. Do search around for a socket base and you have a nice easy to maintain system - but I wouldn't pay too much premium for a socket - soldering to the contacts would be OK with some care and the unit should last longer than your life.

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:59 am 

Bump.

I figured instead of starting a new thread I'd just post up my question on this one. It follows the same lines, just only half of a cross over in this case.

Here is what I'm dealing with.

Sorry for the crappy MS Paint pic. The frogs are in black and I hope the gaps are clear enough. Green and Red are the colours that I chose for the track buss wiring. I am using Tortoise Machines to control the two t.o's. Am I correct in assuming that I should be able to use the secondary internal switch in the Tortoise to switch the polarity of the frogs on the crossing? Realistically, you'd only have one loco using the crossing at a time. So as long as ensure that both t.o's are wired so that the polarity is correct when they are thrown, then I should be good to go. Right?

I think I tend to over think this stuff too much.[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:41 pm 

If you should ever throw both turnouts at the same time, you'll end up with a short. I'd suggest each turnout only control one crossing frog. In the non-crossing position the controlled frog would be set for the opposing turnout route such that with one turnout thrown, then it sets its' frog for crossing and the other frog stays at crossing (since it' set to straight).

This way, you'll not have a dead short and proper operation would only occur with one turnout thrown to the crossing. It's a bit of fail safe. I you have trouble visualizing the connections - let me know - I can colorize a two (or four) position graphic that could help.

I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:44 pm 

Thanks. That was the idea. I just wanted to make sure it would work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:16 am 

I got it wired up and working last night Ed. Thanks for confirming my ideas as to how it needed to be done. Locos roll through fine now in both directions. And I like the "safety feature" if one the t.o.'s is left thrown in the wrong position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:24 am 

Congratulations. It's not all that hard to reason out the wiring - especially when using colorized templates. Sometimes, like with a double crossover, the scheme does require asserting route selection and control to get it right.

With DCC, one can have the option of auto polarity changes electronically, but usually a simple fail safe method will be more robust.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next