Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:19 am 

ok, here is what i came up with...

have a few things to work out yet...

like how to wire the switch motors so you can not throw both crossovers or all crossocers at the same time..

I hope a lot of people look at this one ....
And tell me where I went wrong...
so I can fix it...

Who ever said DCC wiring was easier??

--== Ted ==--

Attachments:
wire double cross for DC Block.jpg
wire double cross for DC Block.jpg [ 72.08 KiB | Viewed 7264 times ]
wire double cross for DCC.jpg
wire double cross for DCC.jpg [ 69.15 KiB | Viewed 7764 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:57 pm 

The double crossover when using DCC is simplicity in disguise. Each of the turnout frogs are isolated and wired to the point throw mechanism as normally done.

The two sharp frogs in the crossover are isolated and connected via a DCC auto reverser.

Two panel switches are wired to throw the both each east or west points turnouts for 'entry - to -exit' criteria - no other action or complex frog wiring is required. This is almost exactly like a double slip switch wiring.

Attachments:
X_over_dcc.jpg
X_over_dcc.jpg [ 24.1 KiB | Viewed 7277 times ]

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:36 am 

Thanks Coslar

connected via a DCC auto reverser never thought of that, sounds good. but it seems a little beyond my experties. I wll read up on it...

and I also know little about wiring a Double slip....

and the Cost of 10 or 12 auto reversers for my road at $40 to $75 dollars a pop, could be money well spent else where...

in fact I find that I have trouble running more then 3 or 4 trains at a time with DCC with out it turning into work rather then play....

and the cost of wiring for DCC is very high and if i need train sound I can play a CD or something...

May be I will go back to the old DC block system there I could run 8 or 10 trains with out them running into each other...

Maybe I will use the DCC in the yards or on the Hump where it may be of some use..

anyway the Quistion is since I am changing out the crossovers on my layout with double crossovers will the 2 digrams in the first post work ???

--== Ted ==--

Retired
PRR,PC,Conrail,IHB
Block Operator,Dispatcher
Got to play with the real ones for over 30 years...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:05 am 

I haven't checked out all your connections fully, but if you want to assure that only the torts for one way at a time will happen, check out the diagrams I posted in another post on crossover wiring. There must be an interlocking method so if one crossing direction is selected the other one will be inoperative until the first one is set straight thru again. Not difficult using the a set of contacts on each of two torts. This method requires two DPDT toggle switches. A relay auto switches the polarity of two parts of the crossover.

Thanks for sharing your information with the hobby.

Ed, thanks for your input, also.

Sharing this info will benefit a lot of hobbyists, especially me.

Littletree

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]