Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Using "88 Safe" frogs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:41 pm 

Ron, Tim, or anyone else who wants to chime in,

After six months, I'm still trying to figure which way is the best for me to go as far as turnouts are concerned. I have a dilemma and 100 questions but I'll only ask one.

I want to use code 88 wheels. I also want to make my own turnouts. I have to weigh cost, reliability, ease of construction, and appearance (detail). However, my choices are limited. If I want to ensure reliable operation of code 88 wheels, I believe I should try to use "88 Safe" frogs from Proto:87 stores. They have a plastic turnout tie strip using plastic ties that uses the "88 Safe" frog that has great detail and is inexpensive. Joe Fugate started this a while back and was successful. But as he said at the time, he likes to solder the rail to ensure it stays down so he used PC ties in places as does Fast Tracks. The downs side is one can only make standard turnouts using this method.

Now, I really would like to use Fast Track templates and system to make my turnouts but I'm concerned about having reliable operation of the code 88 wheels. I remember one of you answered the question of using code 88 wheels and said that it requires tinkering with the frog points on Fast Tracks turnouts to mitigate issues. I want to ensure reliability. My question: how difficult would it be to use an "88 Safe" frog in a Fast Tracks turnout?

Thanks for a great website. It seems that much of what you do is first cabin including your videos.

George

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:52 am 

George,

Not difficult at all. Instead of 'building up' the frog from rail - you would just lay in the rails to the approximate juncture. Overlay the code 88 safe frog - mark - cut and insert.

You can also construct your own frog for code 88 wheels by choosing to narrow the flangeway gap to the minimum of 0.042". With some rails you would slightly file the base so the rails get closer to make the narrower flangeway. The NMRA gauge has the flangeway nubs that are already set at that minimum spacing.

Note: the P87 Stores code 88 frog also has a filler shelf engineered for flange tip running. Building your own with the narrowed flangeway could also add that - but with the proper alignment - it's not necessary. There is GOOD news - a narrowed flangeway frog for code 88 is also compatible with the code 110 wheels - you must make the guardrail position correct with the track check gauge.

Getting all the 'details' that come with the CVT plastic turnout bases is a good bit more difficult - but with patience even that can be added. By the way the CVT bases are inherently curvable and come in a very wide range of turnout sizes - so you would actually have far more custom turnout size and fitting than you can with the soldered FT fixtures.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:19 pm 

Ed,

According to Tim's videos on NRMA turnout specifications, Fast Track turnout fixtures are designed to provide 3 or 4 thousandths clearance from the NRMA maximum and minimums for the Check gauge, Span gauge, and Flange way.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. If the flange way is set at .042, the Check gauge would be .605 (at the minimum), the Span gauge would be .563 (close to the maximum of .564). Is this too close for comfort or are these tolerances acceptable for a code 88 turnout?

George

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:00 pm 

George,

I would set the guard rail for exact track check gauge (MIN .605), the span gauge is OK with the near max - due to the fact all wheel sets (using RP-25 wheel profiles) when properly set with wheel check gauge (MAX .605) will not be anywhere near the B minimum.

Note: The bias is for track to be at or approach the MIN and the wheel sets at or approach the MAX. This will give far better operational running and less 'hunting' along the track right of way.

When setting the guard rail - be sure to use the NMRA gauge and not just rely on the fixture rail base slots.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

While mathematically code 88 wheels are incompatible with standard NMRA turnouts, what I have found is that they seem to work just fine.

On my Bronx Terminal layout, all the trackwork is built using standard NMRA sizes, but a lot of the equipment I use is fitted with code 88 wheels and as can be seen in the many videos I have posted of the layout operating, they perform flawlessly.

I would not hesitate to use them.

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]