[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Rail gaps and joiners

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rail gaps and joiners
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:44 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:39 pm 

sambear,

I would not pre-solder the rails along the right of way. You insert the rail joiners along the way. The ME joiners are cut in half across the width to give a shorter rail joiner. Yo have to 'pre-spread' the ME joiners to get the rails to fit - they are tight joiners.

Cutting a gap into existing trackwork will require a very fine razor saw or very thin diamond wheel in the Dremel. For those turnouts, you can cut the gaps with fine jeweler saws before installing the turnouts.

Fishplates come in brass and plastic from several suppliers. Details West has them, and the Proto:87 Stores have them as part of their detailed etched frets of tieplates and turnouts details. These are thin bits of detailed prototype joiners (with nut and bolt details) that are just glued for cosmetic purposes on the web sides of joints. Some actually go along the rails and at 39 scale feet cut a slot in to the rail head and glue the fishplates on the sides for realistic prototype representation of older bolted rail trackwork. The slot does not go all the way - you are only creating an illusion. They are also nice touches for the actual gaps (but don't use the brass ones there)!

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]