Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:38 pm 

I've been pouring over the manuals, templates, and forums, and I'm wondering if you could construct the double crossovers with solid stock rails. They would probably have to be made last, after all of the middle was just about done and attached together. Then you could with careful measuring and marking of the stock rails, cut them for the points, and then install them as a single piece.
It seems to me that it would add a lot of stability to the whole unit.
I'd love to hear from you. This is my first post, so if I'm doing anything wrong please correct me.

Thanks so much.

Rex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rex,

I am not sure if this can be done or not, I haven't tried it. The double crossover fixtures were made to be built from two halves and joined together. Once soldered into a single unit they are quite solid.

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:40 am 

Hi Rex, Hi Tim,

Yes it is possible to do this I have recently done exactly this my self.

How I did it was to cut the stock rail long enough with some extra for triming back then mark the center of the rail so you can set up the point rail relief by placing this center mark at the joining end of the jig and marking the rail reliefs accordingly.

Remember the point reliefs will both be on the same side of the rail so take care with this part. I say this because I made a mistake on a rail, I marked the rail relief on one end turned the rail around and did the other end filed the reliefs and it look ok, then I saw my mistake and had to make a new piece.

Mark the first rail relief in the stock rail groove on one side of the jig, then mark the other end of the rail using the the stock rail groove on the other side.

The center work is as per the manual, I tried to do the straight closure rail,wing rail and gaurd rail as 2 pieces but your lengths and angles have to be spot on otherwise the rolling stock will not run smoothly, I think it is best to do these as 3 pieces. this is also true for the point frogs make them as normal frog and join them it is very hard to get the stright route length right as a single rail.

I also made a Double cross over with one of the points as a double slip, I found this a challenge but I got there, still need to finish it off, with the throw bars all round. 8)

Cheers
Ray

PS Will upload a pic when I have finished the unit.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]