Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:04 pm 

Hello again folks. 2nd post.

I'm ready to buy a kit to build turnouts - N scale. Prior post was regarding which size I believe is best for my needs (#4.5).

I've seen a lot of comment about the options for powering frogs on the N scale and other Fasttracks turnouts.

Currently, my layout has Atlas customline #4 or #6 turnouts with the plastic non-powered frog using only basic Caboose ground throws(no contacts,etc.) The trains run so-so through these switches.
It's a DCC layout.

There are about 18 Atlas turnouts in place on the layout. I need to install about 25 - 30 more for the yard alone, and will probably replace the existing ones too with Fasttracks.

Since I've never done powered frogs and don't have anything in place with what's already installed, do I absolutely have to set up the fastracks switches with powered frogs and the supporting parts (either slide switches, machines, or something else like a frog juicer) in order to even start to use them on the yard?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:49 am 

Hello Don,

The advantage to powered frogs is that it eliminates the dead spot, especially for short wheelbase locomotives. However, if your locomotives have all-wheel pick-up and are long enough to span the frog area you shouldn't experience any problems providing the track and all wheels are clean.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:21 am 

Thanks Terry. I was hoping that would be an option. It "sort" of works that way now - since the Altas frog is plastic and all the locos I've tested run over it "usually".

I think what I will do when I start to build my own is wire the frog before installation and leave the wire below so I can go back later and connect it as time & money become available.

Don

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]