Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:11 am 

Can I assume that the two tools when made for O Scale are actually longer?

I used the stock rail tool and it didn't take off enough of the base to allow the points to close tight. What I did was file another inch on the stock rail to give the point more room.

Is this needed or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Jay Beckham

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:08 pm 

Hello Jay,

The PointForm and StockAid tools are made for specific sizes of rail and not for a particular scale. If it's necessary to file away a bit more of the rail base by moving it further along in the tool then that will work. You're not doing anything wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:55 pm 

Below is a photo of my first turnout, O SCale #5. The arrow points to an area where the point rail is touching the stock rail in such a way as to not allow the point to fit in nicely against the stock rail. I did file one inch more of the base on the stock rail. Finally i bent the point 1 or 2 degrees in so it would fit.

Should I have to bend it in?

Lastly please excuse some of the solder as I was trying to use the resistance soldering. I finally found out the tip works best for me as long as I don't touch the PC tie. The tweezers didn't work well as it didn't generate enough heat at the joint between the rail and the PC tie. I have a 300W PBL using and was using setting #2 with tweezers and only #1 with the tip.

Thanks

Jay Beckham

Attachments:
Turnout.jpg
Turnout.jpg [ 367.71 KiB | Viewed 7221 times ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]