[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Crossover Track Spacing

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Crossover Track Spacing
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:59 am 

Hi All,

I have a question regarding the track spacing of your N Scale Crossovers. The spacing of 1.09" does not match the spacing of your curved track templates. These are generally 1.25". Is there a simple way of increasing the track spacing of these crossovers so parallel track with a crossover will match the curved track spacing. :?:

Thanks..................George.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:08 am 

Not an answer to your question, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that the prototypes, if not model standards as well call for a little more spacing on curves then on straights...

yep just checked, scroll down to 'n' scale here:

http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/s-8.html

If I am reading it right looks like 1 1/32" for straights (tangent) and up to 1 1/4" for tighter radius turns. Probably to keep equipment from side swiping.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:46 am 
Site Admin

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:46 pm 

Hi Tim,

Granted, a 1.25" spacing may not be ideal but when you consider that many of your templates for curved track give you this 1.25" spacing (15", 16.25", 17.5" is the one I am looking to get) it would be nice if the crossover spacing matched these dimensions. Then there would be no issue when butting a crossover up next to the end of a section of double track curve, whether it be 15" &16.25" or 16.25' & 17.5'.

If you do extend the range of crossovers as far as spacing is concerned I think it would be good for us out in the track planning world if the new versions matched the spacing of your curved track templates.

My thoughts only but if you had this option I would probably purchase a crossover template as well as the 15", 16.25". 17.5" template. My only alternative now is to use two sets of switches in a single crossover (x2) and adjust the length of the diverging legs to achieve the required spacing. Works but takes up a lot more space and doesn't look as nice as a double crossover.

Regards................George.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:15 am 

I'm curious why the crossover spacing and curved track spacing need to match? Looks?

I do not believe the prototype spacing on curves matches the spacing on the tangents (straights) nor do the nmra minimum track center standards. But maybe I have misunderstood?

I do agree that some different spacings on the crossovers would be useful. I am using a Kato solution for now and the spacing on these crossovers leaves something to be desired.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:32 am 

Seems to me that this isn't really that big a problem. If you have straight track coming out of the crossover, it shouldn't be that hard or noticable if you gradually expand the spacing by that tiny amount over the space of two or three feet of track. Even rigid, soldered track should have that much spring in it. Or just keep them at the crossover spacing until you reach the next curve, where it is easier to adust the spacing.

If you have a double curve coming right out of the crossover, just extend the straight part of the crossover a tiny (0.16) amount on the outside track, so that the rails are 1.25 on center at the 90 degree point on the curve. At least that's what I've planned to do on my layout.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't be acceptable?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:12 pm 

It's all about convenience. I prefer closing spacing on parallel track but when you have a small space to work in a 1.25" spacing of the crossover makes it easy to directly attach a crossover to a double curved track (15" & 16.25'). It's a bit like "set track" which is convenient if not so prototypical. In any case, a spacing of 1.25" for parallel track is not too wide?

When I have the space to construct a larger layout this will probably not matter. Changes in track spacing are easy when you have plenty of room.......................George.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:27 pm 

And when I have the room for a larger layout I intend to use easement curves to join straight to curved so all of this won't matter. Easement curves are great but they take up a lot of space.

It is really only an issue when you have have very little room to work in and you are trying to fit in as many and varied track pieces as possible.

I like trackwork. The more complicated the better. That's why I am a customer of Fast Tracks.......................George.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]