Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:18 pm 

Attached is a picture of a double-slip switch I did using Fast Tracks materials but without cutting the rails to provide hinges. If you look carefully, I simply machined out the bottom web of the rail to provide additional flexibility. A mechanical engineer friend of mine did a stress analysis on the rails and solder joints, and found the stress well below any level that could cause a problem. Also note that the outer points in each pair are soldered, but the two inner points are pinned. The pin holes are slightly larger than the diameter of the pins so that all the inner rails can adjust as required (about 0.004 inches) without locking up the points. I have this switch installed on my layout with two Tortoise switch machines and Hare decoders, and it has been working beautifully.

Attachments:
Double Slip No Cut.JPG
Double Slip No Cut.JPG [ 444.31 KiB | Viewed 8923 times ]
Double Slip No Cut.JPG
Double Slip No Cut.JPG [ 444.31 KiB | Viewed 8923 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:51 pm 

Congratulations.

I assume the pinned inner points were set up rather 'tightly' so that they snuggled first and then gave a bit to allow the outer points to tighten in.

You could have made the weaker flex portion with less of the base removed and still had the flex you wanted and needed. I also like to razor cut the head at that location to make for a visual hinged joint - but still have the rail web be continuous - makes for more pleasing visual aesthetics.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:45 am 

As seen in the pictures (before the ties are attached), I use a different approach to the Dbl. Slip where I cut the rail head and bottom flange (making sure they are perfectly in line) just leaving the webbing attached. And then add brass pivot pins to the throw bar and point rails to prevent binding and a smoother throw. This way there is little effort to move the point rails.

(!empty($user->lang['ATTACHMENT'])) ? $user->lang['ATTACHMENT'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'ATTACHMENT'))):
HO #8 Double Slip.2.jpg
HO #8 Double Slip.2.jpg [ 120.48 KiB | Viewed 8624 times ]

Attachments:
HO #8 Double Slip.1.jpg
HO #8 Double Slip.1.jpg [ 109.19 KiB | Viewed 8625 times ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]