[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Hex Frog Juicer documentation

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:49 pm 

Are there any plans to post documentation for the Hex Frog Juicer on the website, similar to that for other Fast Track products? If there is a user guide it would be helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:30 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, we hope to post detailed documentation and videos very soon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:51 pm 

This may be a dumb question, but to use the Hex Frog Juicer I have two questions:

1) Will I still need manual or electronic device to move the turnout throwbar from side to side?
2) In a ladder track, though I keep the turnouts separate, will this Hex Juicer work or fail (because the engine could be on two isolated turnouts at once)?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:20 am 

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:08 pm 

I can add a bit to this as I have three HFJ's on my layout.

My set-up is simply a NCE Power Cab controlling two NCE Switch 8 decoders programmed to throw 8 Tortoise Switch Machines. So depending on your needs, yes you still need to have something to throw the actual points.

As far as a yard ladder is concerned one thing I did notice was that if you wire the the frogs one after another on the juicer you may experience a buzzing coming from the HFJ. This is a problem with locos that have long wheelbases that may be in contact with two frogs at the same time like steam engines that have trucks with electrical pick ups in their tenders. I don't know technically what is happening, however while it doesn't short out the loco it is annoying and I imagine not good for the unit or your trains in the long run. What I did to remedy the problem was to not wire the frog points in sequence. In other words, don't wire it up it up, 1,2,3,4,5,6. Try 1,3,5,2,4,6 or 1,2,5,6,3,4.

Like I said, I don't know technically why it does this and why my solution works, however I've wired up my ladder this way and played with the contacts for my double x-over when I experienced a similar problem and had to play with different wiring combos in order to get the little SPDT micro switches to work without any problems. This even after I checked out the Tam Valley Website and followed the wiring diagram they posted for an x-over. For some reason, the solution they posted, did not work for me.

What I did was take the blue wire and moved it to the far left contact or terminal. So numbered left to right I used 1,3,4,6. Numbers 2 & 5 were used for a couple other turnouts not related to the x-over.

However.

All that said, I really like them. They are certainly not difficult to install and work with and in my mind have greatly simplified my layout wiring this time around for me personally. As an added plus, I suppose if I want to, I can use the internal switches on the Torts for other things like lights and signals.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:45 pm 

Ed:

Again, I am amazed by your helpful notes. These posts have helped me a lot to understand what is needed and what will work with the HFJ and the advice you wrote will help others as well.

Thanks so much, excellent guidance from you.

Don

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:08 pm 

Don,

I appreciate your comments. I've been handlaying track since 1960. Correctly since 1961.

At the Lone Star Region convention in 1961, I was a **SERIOUS** 14 year old model railroader. I'd been remorse about some troubles with my turnouts with several 'greats' of the time. John Allen was there as a guest clinician, and he offered to examine my trunouts and problems. He came to my home and saw my layout of the time and suggested he 'guide' me through a turnout construction. He wouldn't do it - but stood over my shoulder and instructed me through a full construction - about 3 hours. He was truly a grand gentleman.

Just as John Allen took the time to teach and help me, I feel obliged to continue the tradition. I don't have his fame or acclaim, never expect to, but I can share my experience. There are LOTS of ways to construct trackwork, and many levels of fidelity to the prototype, each has to satisfy their own needs.

Time has passed. Tools have changed. Materials and supplies have greatly improved. Fidelity and standards have tightened. But the layout and geometry are the same, and the methods and techniques remain as John taught me.

Don't crowd or overly compress - use the space as required. Take your time. Track is a model - measure, cut, fit, detail, test, and maintain.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:07 am 

Another question about the HFJ. Do you still have to power the frog, or does the HFJ connection provide the power to the frog?

Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:56 pm 

The HFJ will power the frog.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:38 pm 

I was looking for Hex Frog Juicer documentation. I just ordered two of them and wanted to get a jump on learning about install. However I have a bigger problem with an Atlas code 83 19 degree crossing. My Track Mobile will not make it thru, duh, so one of the fixes is the juicer. Big question is how do I wire the juicer for that application. I am surely a novice at this new electrical stuff so be patient. Where do the wires go on the crossing. I know that the power wires go to the track bus. Thanks in advance.
Wayne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:24 pm 

Wayne, from what I have read about crossings, most people treat them the same as a reverse loop.

You can only have one traing going thru at a time and a devise like the AR-1 auto reverse controller from Digitrax or some equal unit from other venders should work well.

They detect if the crossing is powered different from the feed track and swap current to make it proper, next time a train comes from other direction it reverses again just like a reverse loop.

Hope this helps, other may be able to clarify the issue.

SP was king of the road, Cotten Belt will run forever! D&RGW will rule the hills!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:54 pm 

Is there any special spacing or gapping needed when using FrogJuicers on closely-spaced all-metal-frog crossings?

Like a single-track crossing a triple-track mainline where the triple track is 2" center-to-center spacing.

I would like to use the recommended all-metal-frog FrogJuicer crossing wiring diagram shown in the attached jpeg.

(!empty($user->lang['ATTACHMENT'])) ? $user->lang['ATTACHMENT'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'ATTACHMENT'))):
File comment: All-metal-frog FrogJuicer Wiring
Pages from Hex_Frog_Juicer_Manual_v1_5_2p.jpg
Pages from Hex_Frog_Juicer_Manual_v1_5_2p.jpg [ 55.13 KiB | Viewed 20725 times ]

Is there a lower limit on the spacing of the crossings as it relates to loco wheelbase length?

Thanks everyone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:05 am 

most people treat them the same as a reverse loop.
sbobet777

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]