Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tortoise Switch Machine
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:57 am 

Has anyone used the Tortoise Switch Machine with 2 inch foam board and cork road bed? What size wire did you use to move the throw bar and what size hole did you drill in the throw bar?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:54 am 

bumpady bumpa bump bump. :?:

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:50 pm 

My layout is about 1.75" "thick" (plywood + foam + foam roadbed ). My package of wire says 0.39" (but it must be labelled wrong, because I drill a 0.35" hole in the throwbar). It works, but I'm not 100% satisfied. The hole in the throwbar weakens it pretty badly, and now I'm finding I have to go back and replace some of them. I'll probably have to use HO PC ties for throwbars from now on. If I had to start all over, I'd use thinner foam for the layout base.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:08 pm 

I did some experimenting and took some HO PC ties and with my one inch belt sander I narrowed the tie down close to the N scale ties except in the middle I left them wide where I drill the holes. I built a test stand out of my layout base material with a Tortoise switch machine attached and use it to test my switchs when finished.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]