Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Crossings
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:27 am 
I do not see any crossings in Z. Why not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:32 am 
Site Admin

Tim would need to confirm this, but I don't believe that it is possible to build a fixture that can accommodate the small geometry of a Z scale crossing.

Ron Warris
Fast Tracks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

That is correct, due to the limited space and the relative large proportion of rail in Z scale it is not possible to produce fixtures for this scale using our method of construction.

When the frog isolation gaps are cut the crossing will fall apart as there is not enough space on the PC board ties to solder the rail onto.

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:05 am 
That is too bad about not enough template material to make this work. I wonder about a two step template approach where some of the crossing were made in one template then moved to the next template to complete the construction. Or some variation of this idea. Any thoughts?

Tom in Dallas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:13 am 

Tom,

Crossings in Z scale are pretty much a handlaid proposition. The Nn3 guys do this (same gage). Once you've developed skills building a few turnouts and laying down the fixture skeletons, then working through a crossing one step at a time can be accomplished with a slow approach, several gages, and a willingness to rework mistakes that can occur.

There are lot's of web resources available to help guide you, and from your moniker, there's several in the Dallas area that can assist.

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:09 pm 

If you don't want to build them. You can get them from Aspenmodel and Marklin.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:59 pm 
Well, I built one after six unsuccessful attempts. I made a clay mold by imprinting a pair of criss-crossing hand built tracks. I made the imprint with the track face down. I baked the clay so that I had a hardened jig. I then laid track into the grooves made from the imprint and soldered the PC ties on bottom side of the track. Once that was done I then laid the partially built crossing on top of a template I created using PowerPoint. I then completed the rest of the rail work and flanges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:12 pm 

Tom,

Great work and ingenuity. Hope you took some in progress pictures and can share the experience. Congratulations!

I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:04 am 
Ed,

I am not there yet. While making some final clean up I broke a rail loose from a PC tie and it just got worse. I am however, close to completing another one already. This time armed with better knowledge of how to avoid problems. I wonder if Tim and Ron have ever looked at making a jig with the track face down and the ties on top. This would make doing small and complicated jig more doable.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:36 am 

Tom,

Problem is of course the soldering would have to be pre-tined and just wicked in - not a 'customer' easy process. Wouldn't recommend it as a general method - but you could inquire directly about a 'custom' fixture of this style.

I live about 60 miles east of Dallas, TX . Send me a private e-mail (you'll have to actually register and not be a guest to do this I would think).

Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:10 pm 

I don't know if this would work or not, probably wouldn't look prototype without more thinking:

How about a piece of single sided PCB to span the crossing center, with the traces etched for the rails to be soldered to? It could be pre-tinned so the rails could be attached by only heating it. The rail pieces would have to be individual before soldering so the gaps would be pre-made. The edges of the PCB could be file formed to look like tie ends. May be lots of labor.

I work with HO and N, so I do not know about the fineness/difficulites of Z.

Post subject: Plate PC Boards
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:39 pm 

Actually using a plate PC board 'fixture' is very reasonable idea in any scale for certain complex custom configurations.

What you do is select a saw blade that's close to the width of the tie gaps and cut parallel slots that only go about halfway through the PC board. Create a hard plate of shallow ties.

Trim the tie edges for the custom configuration.

CUT - acid remove- file or otherwise gap the UNDERSIDE solid plate part so you don't have a hidden electrical short.

Gap the top side - now on the representative ties for the electrical isolation locations.

Tin on the ties areas following the rail gage, frogs, and guards areas.

Cut - file - fit the individual rails - place - solder.

File and fit the smooth flow of the flangeways carefully - test - adjust as required.

You can then use a rough rifler file to 'grove' and 'scratch etch' wood grain appearance on the exposed still copper clad portion of the ties.

Once painted and ballasted - the complex fixture looks quite 'normal' with tie ends showing.

Lot's of work and planning effort - but for some really tight and complex work the process allows a solid and achievable bit of tricky trackwork. I've seen some that used a simpler modified means of constructing this way for just regular track that is at the very edge of modules where fixed butt joints are used instead of a short interface connection track.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]