Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:33 pm 

Just need to know if Marklin's have any problem with the Micro Engineering Code 40 rail? The loco is a newer diesel model. I also may be getting some older rolling stock. Any problems with them?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:58 pm 

solo_clipper wrote:
Just need to know if Marklin's have any problem with the Micro Engineering Code 40 rail? The loco is a newer diesel model. I also may be getting some older rolling stock. Any problems with them?

Hello solo_clipper.

If you're wondering about the size of the flange on the wheels being a problem or not, you should not have to worry unless you fill up the area between the rails with too much ballast or other scenery material.

I'm away from home right now so can't double check the following, but in the past I've measured the depth of the Marklin metal wheel flanges on many different locomotives both diesel and steam, both new and old, and on several peices of freight rolling stock, and I'm pretty sure the depth was .023 inches so that leaves .017 inches clearance between the flange and the tie surface. If I'm remembering wrong, then the flange depth was .027, but that would still let you run standard-flanged Marklin metal wheels on handlaid Micro Engineering code 40 rail.

The Micro Trains Nn3 wheels had a .019 deep flange and although I haven't measured, I would bet the Z wheels would have the same flange depth even though the Z wheels are slightly smaller diameter (but the "larger" Z wheels, for Z passenger equipment, are in fact the Nn3 wheels, and visa-versa, which strongly suggest to me that both diameters of "Z" wheelsets have the same .019 deep flange).

Have fun,
Jim Hoover

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]