Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Track Gauge(s)?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:20 am 

Having only worked in larger scales, I'm used to having track gauges at hand.

But I'm trying Z scale for fun and want to hand-lay all of the track. Flying blind without a track gauge...

I found the NZT Products clearance gauge set, but he's stopped production. Got one on eBay for a fortune, but it appears to measure spacing between rails, not necessarily flange clearances (based on the angles cut into the tool).

Since I don't see a Trifecta set for Z on the FT website (could be simply a limitation of the old product software), I'm guessing there isn't one?

I can imagine a very simple 3-point gauge from stamped brass. Stamp the form, scribe some fold lines, and you would have an inexpensive but accurate gauge. If the fittings for the Trifecta are the issue for Z, I can draw my idea up if anyone is interested (Tim?)...

Post subject: Re: Track Gauge(s)?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:02 pm 

A notional drawing. It could be stamped or cut brass, or even light steel if possible. I imagine stamping may not truly be an option...not sure...given it's small size. The process may damage the edges and mar the gauge precision. Not being a machinist, it's easy to conceive of this. Might be harder to actually realize and construct it.

Anyway, there is a little "gripper" soldered on top. The stamping would look like the bottom figure, but once stamped, bend the tabs in opposing directions and solder to the top of the triangular-shaped gauge.

Better if there are nice Trifecta gauges, but this is cheap and easy once the milling process is ironed out (and I realize that may not be easy or possible, but just sayin'). If there aren't Trifecta's, a few of these would really be helpful, I'd think.

Attachments:
File comment: Notional Drawing (not to scale)
3 Point Z Track Gauge Notional Drawing.png
3 Point Z Track Gauge Notional Drawing.png [ 17.64 KiB | Viewed 6762 times ]

Post subject: Re: Track Gauge(s)?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:14 pm 

I'm told a Z Trifecta should be out later this year (2016). Excellent...thanks, Tim and guys!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]