Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:17 am 

Ron & Tim,
I'm a new customer and new to the forum as well. I've searched several categories to see if this question has been addressed, but can't find anything similar. I've just purchased an S Hi-rail #4 turnout fixture, points tool and frog tool based on the recent, excellent article in the NASG Dispatch. I'm sure I'll be adding to that list over time. My question was posted in the tools/fixtures discussion area, which may have been the wrong place to get a response. So here it is: I have a mixture of newer high-rail equipment including steam locos and freight/passenger cars from MTH, Lionel and American Models as well as original American Flyer equipment from the 1950's. Will the S hi-rail frog wing rails and guard rails spacing accommodate both (assuming my AF wheels sets are in gauge)? And if not, I can switch freight car wheels to MTH hi-rail wheel sets simply enough (I have actually been considering that for a while), but converting steam locomotives would be a much bigger task. Is there an adjustment I can make to the rail spacing to accommodate this equipment? What do you suggest?
Thanks.
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:43 pm 

Guys,
It may be odd to reply to my own post, but I've been doing a lot of Internet surfing and reading and I've discovered that it appears that closed-frog turnouts will accommodate early AF, modern hi-rail and scale S gauge equipment on the same track. I can construct those turnouts quite simply with your S Hi-rail fixture by doing some filing to the frog wing rail bases, adding a central pivot point along the points rails and powering both the isolated frog and pivoting point rails thru a frog juicer for DCC compatibility (rather than rely on electrical contact between the frog and wing rails to do that).

I don't know if this information will be useful to others as written, but as soon as I receive my fixture, I plan to make up one of these turnouts and post the photos, specifications and dimensions for others to use. Can't wait to take delivery of the fixture so I can test this application.
Thanks.
Steve

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]