Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:34 am 

I'm Mike from lill' Malta on the other side of the pond, where once our mighty railway - all single track, 7 1/2 miles long - chugged along, ascarin' the livestock and setting fire to the fields. It lasted 50 years, and the last firebox finally went cold in 31 March 1891.

I belong to a group intent on raising awareness of the railway, and I have a project by which I hope to see the Malta Railway in steam yet again. Due to financial constraints, I have selected the British Mamod Mk. 2 locomotives running on 32mm gauge rail to provide traction and custom built rolling stock based on the Mamod flat bed kit.

After some head scratching, I have settled down on a scale of 10mm equals 1 foot, which translated gives 32mm rail a prototypical gauge of 0.975 metres, and that, in my books is pretty much equal to the actual metre gauge on which the MR used.

So......since ready made rail is pretty much out of my budget, and having realised that the Mamod rail is too fragile for a portable layout, I have to turn to hand-made rail.

I'm a buff hand at soldering, and have a good technical grounding, so my current stumbling block is which rail I need to order so that it would be in scale with my MR. Which would be the correct code for me to order, please? Thanks in advance...... :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:11 pm 

My calculations show that your code rail would be 150 - 165 code (0.150" or ~ 3,8mm in height).

Don't know of what codes in that range are actually available. You may have to compromise somewhere in your plans.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]