Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:42 pm 

I have purchased the On30 #4 turnout with which I will build stub switches. Reading the Builders Guide
"Building A Stub Switch Using A Fast Tracks Assembly Fixture", it states to include everything down to
the tie above the throwbar. Does this still apply for the very short #4 switch? The diverging closure
rail has a very sharp radius which I made better conform to the fixture by bending it slightly by hand.
There is still a bit of tension where it stops just before the last tie. When the switch is removed
from the fixture the gap between the stock and closure rails can shift. There is no close tie to hold
the rail in place as in the #6 shown in the Guide. The only idea I could think of would be to solder
a temporary piece of brass wire across the top of the rails until the head tie was soldered in place.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jim,

Since every fixture is different, its hard to give a set of instructions that would apply to every situation. What you are suggesting as a solution is what I would also advise. A temporary strap across the top of the rails to hold everything in place until the head tie can be soldered on. And perhaps even an additional PC board tie to stabilize the rail. Building stub switches does require a bit of experimenting with the fixture to get everything to work out ok.

Hope this helps,

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:53 pm 

Tim,

Thanks for the response. I thought that may be the case, but I wanted to check all sources. I had not considered adding additional pc-ties. Kind of like you do not mess with the original.

Thanks again,

Jim

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]