Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wheel drop in N scale
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:33 am 

Completed two #10 turnouts today. Took about 90 minutes for the first one and just under an hour for the second. I think I will eventually get it to about 45 minutes once I get more experienced. Anyway, my question is in regard to wheel drop. Both turnout have wheel drop at the frog when I roll a single truck through. I am using Fox Valley wheels which have smaller wheel treads. The trucks go through the frogs very smoothly when attached to a car, but alone the wheel will drop at the frog. I watched the CAD video on frog wheel drop, but they seemed to be talking more about HO scale. Is it possible to get the frog sharp enough on the N scale fixtures to eliminate the wheel drop?

Daryl Kruse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:37 am 

The N scale Fox Valley wheelsets are FINE wheel sets. They are intended for those in fiNescale with tighter track standards. For use with standard N scale trackwork, you'll need to use the additional trick of filling the frogway in with some hardening auto putty and clean out a set for the proper 'shelf' depth to let the flanges ride across the frog area.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:44 pm 

Well, on my fourth turnout I answered my own question. It is possible to get the frog point in position to eliminate wheel drop in N scale. I wasn't placing the frog point far enough into the wing rails on the first three. I need to now go back and replace the frog point on the first three turnouts.

Having lots of fun.

Cheers!

Daryl

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]