Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:12 pm 

I've noticed the move to 1mm thick (height) ties for N scale. Fixture AF-N-T-10-ME40 indicates 1mm tie height as do the new straight and curved fixtures. However, PB-N-S and PB-N-C are still listed as 1/32 of an inch. I have a 4 year old #10 fixture which I assume was based on the 1/32 in. tie. Are the fixtures designed so that the 1mm and 1/32 in. are essentially interchangeable? I realize the difference is only .0081 in., roughly 1/128 in. or about the thickness of 2 sheets of 24 lb. paper, but in the real world are there going to be problems? If I order a new fixture can I use my current supply of 1/32 in. ties? Any suggestions or observations?

Thanks,

Phil

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Phil,

The new PC board ties introduced this past summer are all crossties, that is they are the 8'6" ties used for straight and curved track and in N scale are cut from 1mm material. These are for use in our new curved and straight track fixtures. Having 1mm ties for these makes construction of straight and curved lengths of track much easier.

All our turnout PC board ties are still 1/32" thick, and will work with older fixtures, no change there. Just the new 8'6" crossties are cut from thicker material.

Sorry for the confusion, you aren't the first to ask...

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:26 pm 

Tim,

Thanks for the explanation. The thing that caused me to post the question in the first place is the specifications for some (I did not check all) N scale fixtures is now showing the tie height as 1 mm:

Tie Size (Model) L - 0.64" (16.2 mm)
W - 0.06" (1.4 mm)
H - 0.04" (1 mm) The actual size of the tie.

These specs were taken from AF-N-T-8-ME40. This would lead one to assume that you are moving N scale turnout fixtures to 1 mm ties.

One question I do have is can the 1/32 in. ties be used successfully in the straight fixtures? Do you need to add a spacer underneath them to raise them up?

BTW, thanks for your wonderful products and Happy Holidays.

Phil

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]