Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:44 am 

I've managed to build two turnouts now, one with ME Code 55, the other Atlas Code 80. The ME was not totally finished as I made a mistake and soldered where I shouldn't making it hard to install one of the closure rails. What was there worked good though.

The Atlas Code 80 is complete and works...I need to practice getting the points curved more precisely but overall good for a first shot. However, I see a potential problem.

ME rail actually has a rail head, Atlas doesn't seem to (inverted T shape). My two guard rails are rail bottom to rail bottom with the stock rails (e.g. as close as they can be), but because of the lack of rail head the gap is a smidge too big. A truck rides through fine, but if I give a a slight twist (e.g. pressure it so it wants to pick the frog) it can (using a standard MT truck).

It seems to me with Atlas Code 80 rail a small amount of the bottom web of the guard rail has to be removed to get it snuggled up close enough. Am I right, or doing something else wrong?

There may be a similar issue on the frog end. On my Code 80 the bottom webs of the frog points and wing rails are all snuggled up against each other. It looks to me like that's right, but I wonder again if the rail head might make a small difference over the lack of rail head code 80.

I figure about two more and I'll be doing this pretty good. I am looking forward to the stock rail filing jig though....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:47 am 

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=840

With a bit of luck, the above thread should give you the rail dimensions you are after and also the answers you seek. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:43 am 

With mixed rail codes in a single fixture, you run a risk of the clearances not being correct. The fixtures are made for specific rails, and the dimensional profile of the rails are quire different in some cases. You should always construct and check with either an NMRA gage or with carefully made gage blocks and feelers for the correct track check gauge and the proper flangeway spacing. If you need to file bases of rails (or spread them away) to set the proper dimensions, then do so. Accept that the fixture is a help aide, and unless being used explicitly with the rail code designed for, not as the final arbiter for correct dimensions. It is wise to have the habit of using the gages for all construction to be 'dead on correct' every time.

Note: Rails are not always manufactured with exacting tolerances. Production runs can have deviations. Even using the correct rail for a fixture can lead to problems if the rail deviations are just off enough and checking gages are not used in the construction.

Note: I use "gage" to be the instrument (like the NMRA gage) for checking and verification. The "gauge" is a reference to a dimensional value measurment (e.g., track gauge or check gauge).

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:44 am 

The base of Atlas Code 80 (removed from N Scale Flex) and ME Code 55 are (supposedly) the same, and both seem to fit snugly.

The Atlas is a straight T shape though, so a guard rail next to a stock rail looks like: TT (upside down) and the distance between the tops (with a guage) is a hare too wide per my NMRA guage. The guard rail needs to move out towards the stock rail, but can't, it's already web to web.

I'm just going to file the web down on one side of the guard rail on my next Code 80 try. I think it's off by only a few thousands; a truck just pushed through won't pick it, it's only when you twist the truck to try and make it pick the point that it ever so slightly can catch.

Oh, it may also be because I'm testing with a "Pizza Cutter" flange truck, so the flange sticks out further and has more opportunity to pick the point when the truck is turned. I need to try with some fox valley and MT low pro wheels.

Assuming I figure this out I'll post some pictures and more detail, I suspect there are a few people who want to make both Code 55 and Code 80 switches in N scale.....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:44 pm 

sorry for my poor english,
the N Scale Turnout Track Kits are for ME rail, wich one i can use to build turnout for my layout that use atals code 80 rail ? the ME code 55 ones ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:03 am 

According to the manufacturers specs, Atlas code 80 has a base width of 0.050", M/E code 55 has a base width of 0.040" and M/E code 70 has a base width of 0.0695". And as Ed stated, there can be a significant variation between the nominal size and the actual size from batch to batch. So without knowing how wide the pockets are that hold the rail and what clearance Ron and Tim aim for, I can't give you an accurate answer.

Maybe you will have to order a custom fixture?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:28 pm 

The base of Atlas code 80 rail fits fine in my Code 55 fixture, so that's no issue.

Making frogs with the "ME Code 55" pointform works, although the tool doesn't quite close all the way. Good sharp frogs though. I have a hunch the code 83 pointform would work better, but I don't have one to test.

Making points is a mixed bag. The rail shape is different, and I just can't get them to snug up the way I would like. They would probably work, but not meet my quality standards.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:49 pm 

Building points out of the code 80 rail may require the old handlaid technique.

Bend the rail end about 3/16" back right where the point will be, make bend towards the center of the turnout away from the stock rail. Bend should be no more than bringing the center web in line with the flange running edge of the rail head

File from the area before the bend until the inner flange running side of rail head is now straight - you'll have only the web present on the inner side. This allows the center web to be nearly a full width and gives strength to the point edge.

Finally file the tapered edge that fits to the stock rail. The resulting point will be knife sharp - but strong and fully supported. The extra base from the inner bend gives a better soldering area for the tie bar.

Only trouble is the point form filing tool may not allow proper fitting - may have to 'finalize' by some old fashioned hand filing.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]