Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:42 pm 

I came here to post about straight fixtures only to see they are now out. Woot. But that's only 80% of my problem. :)

I'm interested in module construction (e.g. NTrak) and so there is a connector track issue. Step one is being able to build straight segments to use across modules as people use the standard Atlas straight section of track today. I think the straight jigs can help here.

However, I'm wondering if there isn't a market here for a jig (or additional position on your combo jig) just for this sort of thing. Several observations:

Extra PC ties don't seem out of place for two reasons. One, increased handling by human hands, and two, if the entire drop in section were PC ties it would "float" just above the roadbed (with wooden ties on each side) making fits a bit easier. I can see making these segments with all PC ties.

It's hard to make these look right due to the missing ties where the rail joiners are located. Atlas sectional track attempts to get around this with the semi-ties on the end, and they do help. I've often wondered of a short section of round wire could be soldered to the outside of the rails to "clip" over the section that remains with the module to eliminate the need for joiners and allow ties right to the ends.

These all need to be the same length. Exactly the same length, so they are interchangeable. Since the Atlas dimensions are already out there I'd recommend their standard (4.91") and half (~2.5") as two good lengths. Cutting all the rail to the exact right length though seems tricky, and then getting them lined up with the PC ties without some sort of end enclosure also seems difficult.

Anyone tried making hand laid joiner tracks, and have any other thoughts and tips?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:50 am 

One way to get the desired length you want is to take an assembly jig to a machinist and get him/her to machine it down the the exact size you want. I dare say that would be a much cheaper solution, rather than getting fast Tracks to make one the size you want.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:06 am 

Maybe the N Scale group could send Tim and Ron a nice request to add a small section to one of the straight jigs for N Tracks joiner configuration.

I used to do N Track years ago, and now where he is comming from. Using the standard Atlas connector is a pain for real looking track work.

A small lenght of track with all PC ties would work well, and not require that much design or extra milling of a standard straight jig, maybe a small cost difference, but it would show great support to the N scalers of the N Track by Fast Track.

Kurt

SP was king of the road, Cotten Belt will run forever! D&RGW will rule the hills!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:56 am 

It occurred to me I could be much more specific in what I think is needed:

A slot in the end of the fixture, like the new guard rail slots, to help cut the segments to exact length. I think two lengths should be provided, 4.91" to match an Atlas 5" straight (someone better measure it, I think 4.91" is right), as that is the "standard" NTrak joiner fixture; and then a shorter length for those who wish to have private track joints with better appearance. I would think the latter should be based on the tie spacing and such so the same assembly area could be used, and be between 2" and 2.5" (just keep the rails slid to one end).

An assembly area that features rail pockets closed on each end (again, to align both rails to the exact same length) and 100% PC tie slots cut (mainline spacing, although potentially an "NTrak" fixture with mainline, branch and siding could be of interest).

FWIW, I'm not going to use this on NTrak yet as NTrak still officially prohibits hand laid track. That rule pre-dates the fixtures and other modern techniques, and already a few clubs have some hand laid track, so the world is dipping its big toe into this area. I think there's no reason to exclude properly done hand laid track, but the key is setting the standards and describing the inspection items for hand laid track to be acceptable. While such a fixture may not be a huge seller day one I think it would be a way to be extremely supportive of NTrak and help turn the tide. Being able to spread around some Code 80 Joiner Tracks allows people to try a "hand laid" track between two existing modules; which is really low risk....

Post subject: Re: fixtures for NTrak
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:49 pm 

While the use of "handlaid" joiner tracks is intriguing, I think it would best be preceded by a jig that simplifies the matter of getting the track spacing AND setback precise. Such a jig would be fairly simple. Hmmm, after I get my Proxxon Micro-Mill, I might take a shot at making one...

Anyhow, the jig would have a vertical face that references against the module end, with slots for the rails running in from the open (i.e. interior, not end, of the module) end of the jig. The slots will be appropriately spaced (9mm between rails, 1.5" for track spacing), and would end at the correct distance (@ 2.5" from the reference face). To use, you would simply clamp the jig to the end of the module, and slide the track into the jig. It'll stop when it reaches the end of the slots. Voila, properly spaced and setback track!

A straight track segment built with PC board ties does give some opportunity for crafting a solution resulting in VERY fast setups. How would 10 seconds per joiner track sound?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:09 pm 

Several clubs have made jigs like you describe before, and yes, they can be quite helpful.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]