[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Twist ties, and 9 foot ties Ron, Tim?

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:05 pm 

I'm making a suggestion that when you come out with the twist ties for N scale that you make the tie lengths 9 foot. You wondering why and here's the answer for that.

If everyone was using code 40 rail, I would agree that 8' 6 " ties would be fine. But put code 55 rail on the same ties, and the proportions are all off. Another reason the
ties would match the Micro engineering code 55 flex track.

What I mean by proportions is the rail and tie lengths would appear to retain their symetry in looks rather than looking like a puppy with overgrown feet. (if you get my meaning) There are prototype railroads using large rail for heavy mainline use, and when they do often they use the 9 foot ties.

It wouldn't hamper those guys (which are fewer than those using code 55) to trim off a couple of inches here and there to get it to match Atlas's code 55 flex track.

I have already modifyed your tie jigs to accommadate the 9 foot tie length (a few strokes with a file was enough to get it done. But on the twist ties adding the extra length is impossible.

Hope you consider this for the code 55 rail users, I'm sure there's going to be some chat about this, those for the 8.6 vice the 9 foot.

Lastly there is another reason, anyone wanting to use the twist ties also might want to incorporate the P87 groups N scale tie plates, The 9 foot tie lengths would look better with those too. They haven't made N scale code 55 tie plates yet but I imagine they will and they should be slightly bigger than the code 40 counterparts.

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:10 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rob,

Your suggestion about the 9' ties is a valid one and one I will give serious consideration to when working on the designs for the TwistTies.

Right now I am working on fixtures for straight and curved trackage in all scales, but these are for the "pc board" approach, that is, PC board ties are placed every 6-7 ties between wood ties. We have quite a few cool ideas for this line that I am confident many modelers will really like.

We were only planning on releasing 8'6" versions of this system, again I will give the 9' tie some thought because as you mention, code 55 (and 80) in N scale has a pretty wide footprint.

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:09 am 

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your response, and I hope you do incorporate my suggestion for the 9 foot ties/ for the code 55 rail crowd, actually if you did it for both rail sizes the code 40 guys could do the trimming with much hassle.

Rob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:33 am 

Tim,

Hopefully I haven't gotten into this discussion too late, but I'd suggest both 8 1/2 and 9 foot sizes. Trimming nearly 50 ties for every three foot length of track would get pretty tedious pretty fast. On my code 40 layout that would translate to 2-3000 ties to trim, which seems to defeat the purpose of having them pre-cut.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:01 am 

I was mostly concerned with the code 55 rail version, Whether Tim and Ron would do 3 versions, (one for code 40 and one for code 55) is the question. If only one system was to be made available I would pick the code 55 version (nine foot ties), as the use of code 40- rail is far less than code 55.

Rob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:22 am 

Have you considered getting your own ties made? I have a friend who is able to make ties from any thickness PCB. He just happens to own his own PCB business.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]