[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Crossover track spacing

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Crossover track spacing
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:13 pm 

The track spacing for the N-scale crossovers is 27.7 mm.
I'm planning to build modules that follow the FREMO standard. That standard says that double track modules must have a track spacing of 25 mm at the module ends. If I want to use a crossover I must make a small curve on the track between the module edge and the crossover. The curves will take valuable space and I don't think it will look good.
My question is there a variant of the crossover fixtures with 25 mm track spacing or do anyone have a nice solution on how to solve my problem any other way? Using four normal switches is possible but will take a lot of space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:51 pm 

nils-Olov,

You are talking about only 2.7mm difference off-set. You should not have the double crossover begin much closer that 40 or 50 mm from the end of a module. If done at 50mm away, the two tracks would only slightly bow towards each other equally at about 1-1/2 degrees to make up the 1.35mm equidistant change. I would sincerely doubt that most flex track is laid much better than that anyway, and the resulting appearance would not be a detractor. Seems far better a compromise than laying four separate turnouts individually and then fitting in a slightly custom crossing.

If you choose to place the double crossover a bit further away from the module edge - the then very slight track centerline correction would likely become imperceptible. Just be sure to align things such that both main line tracks are equally offset rather than try and place all the alignment on one track. At 80mm distance from the module end, the offset angle become less than 1 degree and thats' below the allowance for track gage deviation.

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:27 am 

Thanks Ed,
I think you are correct about the accuracy of laying out flextrack and that if given a proper distance to the edge of the module it will not be visible.
I suppose the 27.7 mm track spacing is the 1 3/16" clearance from NMRA S-8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:24 am 

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]