[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - N-scale ties

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: N-scale ties
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:22 pm 

I'm a bit disappointed with the N-scale turnout ties WT-N-T. They are advertised as being a scale 9" wide, but the ones I have are at least a scale 10". :( If I could afford it I'd be tempted to buy quicksticks for all my turnouts, but it seems that even the regular crossties are slightly wider than the quicksticks ties. Here's what I measured:
Turnout tie: .062"
Crosstie: .055"
Quicksticks tie: 0.51"
PC tie: .055"
One might think that is too small a difference to quibble about, but note in the attached photo the obvious difference between the turnout ties and the quicksticks laster ties.
I guess I could just space the ties a bit farther apart, but that starts to defeat the purpose of handlaying track in the first place. I'll try piling all the ties together in a block and sanding the width down, but that's a pain.

I'm also not impressed with the "fuzz" on the end of all of the ties - does the manufacturer cut them with a dull axe?

Does anyone know if the Kappler ties are any better quality than Mt.Albert's?

Attachments:
DSCN1831.jpg
DSCN1831.jpg [ 139.11 KiB | Viewed 8689 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:50 pm 

I do HO and have used Kappler ties exclusively now for ten years. I've always found Kappler ties to be within 0.002" of the stated dimensions and to be very clean and well finished.

This does not answer your N ties question directly, but the folks at Kappler are very serious about their quality. A 9" tie in N scale should be 0.05625" - which is very close to the Kappler stated 0.056". You should find these to be consistent and a very good match to the available PC ties.

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:36 am 

Howdy,,,, I have not been visiting like I should,,, but found a wealth of info.

The kappler link,,, and another site about a water soluable flux. Anywho...

The question I have about the Kappler ties,,,, which ones are the same height as the PC board ties?,,, the standard or low profile.

I would measure ,, but I do not have a mike or a digital caliper.

I have a layout planned in N scale that is going to require 147 turnouts,, and I was wanting to try to secure the ties and then ballast, sand smooth, then apply the rail. We will see.

Adios Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:29 am 

Wood ties and PC ties simply don't match in height. You build the PC tie skeleton and then place and install on the full profile wood ties.

PC tie height - 0.0315" (1/32")
Wood Full Profile - 0.044"
Wood Low Profile - 0.025"

Don't try and use low profile wood ties with PC skeleton construction.

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:50 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]