Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:22 am 

Hi There -

I recently built, installed, and wired up my first turnout (my 6th or 7th that I've built, but first to get it up and running all the way). It's a Code 55 Number 5 turnout, and my diesel engines and freight cars run great through it, but my two steamers (Mikado from Kato) and a Lifelike 2-8-4 jostle while moving through the straight route. It's very noticeable, but they don't derail. I took the turnout and noticed that the front was up a little and sanded it down with 400 grit sandpaper, so now it's to the point where I literally can't tell when running a car through that the they're going over the turnout. Still bumping from the steamers however.

My two thoughts are that there's some solder in the flangeway (cleaned it with a small screwdriver) OR that the turnout is somehow arced on the benchwork causing the frog to be higher than the surrounding trackwork?

Have others had these problems? What are some good strategies to use to trouble shoot?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:21 pm 

Double check the wheel gauge on all the wheels on the steamers. Also look for binding with the side rods. Travel through the straight route should not be affected by steamers if the wheels are correctly gauged. It is possible on teh diverging routes the turnout is too sharp for the steamers wheel bases - but that can be worked only on teh steamers chassis modifications or installing larger turnouts.

Place a straight edge on the turnout and check that all is level, aligned and no bow or bend vertically along the rail heads or at the frog.

To make corrections - you have to determine what is causing the 'bump'.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:36 pm 

Thanks - I'll check that out and see what I can see. Just so odd to me that I can't feel the bump with cars, but I guess the trucks are probably more forgiving than the sequential wheels of the steamers.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]