[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Prefered rail sizes?

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Prefered rail sizes?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:17 pm 

Post subject: Rail Sizes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:56 am 

For N scale (where you posted) you have a few choices. Code 55 is the prefered choice by most handlaying, with code 40 for lighter industry and branch-yard trackage as an option.

You can also consider the Peco PL-1 code 60 rail for your mainline and drop down to code 55 for the yards and passing to provide some visual effects.

Note with code 40 you will have to carefully select the wheels with the better flange profiles anyhwere you choose to use even the smallest of spikes.

Since you addressed code 83 and 70, I presume you may be into HO trackwork. Here the options increase expotentially. The FastTrack jigs ordered with code 70 compatiblity will actually use code 83, code 81, code 75, code 70, and the code 60 rails. Code 60 woudl be safest with using the Micro Engineering 3-point gages since the rail base goves may allow too much variance. You can alos use the 3-point gages for code 55 in the FT jigs set up for code 70 and get excellent construction - though the FT code 55 specific jigs would be important for faster construction.

Code 83 comes in several actual sizes of rail head and base. The Mirco Engineering code 83 is far superior in profile.

The code 81 rail is the LaVancil rail available fro Right-O-Way, Central Valley, and the Proto:87 Stores. It's much finer profile than the code83's - more like the code 70 rail and is easy to match up to code 83 rails with a few swipes of a file.

Code 75 rail is extensively used in the UK and Nickle Silver is supplied by Peco (though I'm not sure it's avialable inraw bulk - you'd have to strip the flex track). Code 75 Steel rail is made by C&L and is available throught the Proto:87 Stores. This steel rail is a leadaloy alloy of steel and handles very well with almost no rusting charteristics - even mosdest running of trains keeps it clean and functional.

Code 70 rails are avialable form several sources - but again the Micro Engineering is he superior choice.

Code 60 rail is usually used in N, Nn3, and Z construction, the Peco PL-1 is avialble in bulk form specialty suppliers - got mine from B & F Hobby Shop
Al Sandrini, 1424 Baker Street, Bakersfield, CA 93305, Phone 661-322-7955, Email: mrbnf@pacbell.net.

Codes 55 and 40 are useable in HO easily with soldered PC construction, and with extra fine spikes as well with good construction techniques. The rail choices here are also Micro Engineering.

You decide!

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:34 pm 

Thanks for the reply with all the info. Yes, I primarily am doing HO. I have 5 different Fast Tracks HO fixtures, getting excellent results from all of them. What I am thinking about doing is adding some N scale trackwork to a layout to give a forced perspective at some locations.

Based on the above info, if I am reading it right, I could order a code 70 fixture and a couple of ME 3 point N gauges and use most of the rail you listed in the same fixture, trading time for cost. I really cannot see needing that many N scale track codes, though, so I probably will order the fixtures for code 55 ME rail ( I have exclusively used ME rail thus far). Will a code 55 N fixture accept the Peco code 60 rail you mentioned? Or, inversely, should I consider ordering a fixture for the Peco code 60 rail and use ME code 55 in it with gauges? I want to minimize the expense while not letting too many variables ruin the quality of the product or increase the time excessively.

I am also thinking about the dual gauge N #6 fixtures. Will this, in itself, throw in a new bunch of variables? I have not tried anything in dual gauge yet, just trying to find out which would be the most versatile and meet my needs.

Do you happen to have the specs on the Peco code 60 and ME code 55 rail dimensions? This could help me to see where I am going.

Thanks

Post subject: Rail Codes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:32 pm 

Attached is a chart of rail sizes - alas there's still some missing information - I'll have to measure up the code 60 bases to be complete (and please - anyone measure up the Peco code 83).

IF you expect to also do Nn3 - then gettting the dual gage fixture is the way to go. That fixture will do standard and narrow gage turnouts separately as well as dual gage.

For the N scale - then ordering the code 55 is the way to go (you can use code 40 with the track gages inserted).

Code 60 is very specialized - and I would not recommend using it for 'most' of the trackwork - it's hard to come by - it's expensive. Reserve the use of code 60 for a few places where you need contrast.

Attachments:
rails_sizes.jpg
rails_sizes.jpg [ 58.79 KiB | Viewed 12997 times ]

I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Post subject: Excellent info
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:51 pm 

Exactly what I was looking for. Your information lets me make a correct decision.

Thanks so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:36 pm 

just wanted to add that there is also c30 rail. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:28 pm 

Sam,

Is there 'T' code 30? I'm familiar with the 2mm association code 30 bar rail avialble in a coil. They may have code 30 bullhead - I'm not sure. Please advise the actual measured dimensions of the code 30 you know of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:24 pm 

ed,
the 2mm association c30 is the one that i just found out about.
dont know much detail about it :(
but i'd like to know too what type of rail it is
(before i run out and buy some ;) )
maybe tim can answer this query :?:
oh, talking about the c30 rail...
can it be used in the fast tracks jigs c40 jigs?
or would you need a special order jig?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:47 pm 

Sam,

The 2mm code 30 is a bar profile. Rectangle in cross section. They have code 40 in flat bottom 'T' rail (like ME) and in bullhead profile.

You could not use the 'standard' FT jig for the code 30 from 2mm. I was hoping you knew of some 'other' code 30 available.

Post subject: Re: Rail Sizes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:50 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]