[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Nn3 TwistTie pictures.

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Nn3 TwistTie pictures.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:08 am 
Site Admin

Hi All,

Been doing some R&D for possible N,Nn3 and Z scale TwistTies and thought I would post a few pictures of the progress.

If you are not sure what "TwistTies" are, have a look here for a description of the system we are currently offering for HO scale and up...

http://www.handlaidtrack.com/twistties.php

The approach we will take for these will have to be a bit different than the larger scales, and one that will appeal to the average N scale modeler.

We are working on both turnouts, that can be built either straight or curved in a variety of numbers, and 24" lengths of flexible tie strips.

The images below are of Nn3 code 40 track built on flexible strips of ties. The rail has been glued in place with Pliobond. Pliobond, a contact type adhesive, was placed on the base of the rail, and onto the ties. Once dry, the rail was placed on the ties and re-activated by applying heat onto the rail with a 35 Watt soldering iron. This creates a strong bond, permanently holding the rail in place.

Grooves engraved onto the wood ties aid in rail placement, all this trackwork was done without the aid of track gauges.

These images are of a Nn3 #6 code 40 curved turnout. This entire turnout was built using the same techniques as above, using Pliobond to adhere the rail to the TwistTies.

This is a fairly simple process, and this turnout was built in about and hour and a half. A PC board throwbar was used to quickly complete the switch points. Small pieces of PC board is also used to fasten the movable point and closure rails to the stock rails, for both electrical and mechanical purposes. This method creates a strong joint between the two rails, preventing the glue joints of the closure rails from weakening.

The gaps were cut with a cut-off disk in a Moto-tool. The disk was too large to fit between the stock rails, so it was dressed down to about 3/8" in diameter before using. StopGaps (laser cut gap fillers) are placed in the gaps to prevent closure.

This turnout is solid, looks and performs very nicely.

Narrow gauge TwistTies are designed to appear a little more "rustic" and less maintained, as can be seen in these images.

They are very flexible. This sample was cut from 1/16" plywood.

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:09 pm 
tim,
are these now available? and when/how can i get some. i have about 30' of Nn3 track to lay, with about 6 turnouts. thanks.
dave freehling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:12 pm 

I've followed with interest the discussions on code 40 hand laid track on the N_FineScale group, which in turn led me here. I'll be buying as soon as these products become available for N scale! A TwistTies kit for N scale code 40 (ME rail), like the ones already available for the larger scales, would be fantastic. I'm primarily interested in turnouts from #8 up to about #20. The "non-turnout" tie strip appears to be a brilliant way of speeding up track laying while retaining the superior appearance of hand laid track on wood ties.

As an aside, I'm also experimenting with etched tie plates for N scale track. The tie plates are positioned on the fret so as to accurately gauge the rail as it is laid down, much like the grooves you describe. For these to be used successfully with the flexible tie strips, the grooves must be shallow enough not to interfere with the tie plates. Alternatively, would you consider offering a version without the gauging grooves?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:28 pm 
quote: As an aside, I'm also experimenting with etched tie plates for N scale track. The tie plates are positioned on the fret so as to accurately gauge the rail as it is laid down, much like the grooves you describe. For these to be used successfully with the flexible tie strips, the grooves must be shallow enough not to interfere with the tie plates. Alternatively, would you consider offering a version without the gauging grooves?
Hmm, maybe flip the tie strip over if you don't need the grooves?

Bob in IDaho, who thinks "less maintained" describes most of the northeast in the 70's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:58 pm 

Quote:
>Hmm, maybe flip the tie strip over if you don't need the grooves?

Sounds like a plan! Why didn't I tink of that... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

"Grooves" is the wrong word to use to describe the treatment on the top of the ties. Lines is more precise. There are no "recesses" in the ties, just reference lines to indicate the outside edge of the base of the rail. This makes confirming the position of the rail much easier.

Sorry for the confusion.

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:24 pm 

Thanks for the clarification, Tim! It appears that the twist tie strips will be equally suited to track with or without tie plates - perfect! Where do I send my order? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:27 pm 

Depending upon how the tieplates are made, the laser-engraved guidelines might be helpful in positioning them onto the ties.

Would the tieplates have to be placed & secured before the rail is laid? How would that work out with the Pliobond technique?

(I'm presuming that these tieplates would fit in between the rail & each tie.)

Thanks,
Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:15 am 

Post subject: Tie plates
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:11 pm 

Post subject: glues
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:41 pm 

Post subject: Re: Tie plates
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:59 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:45 am 
Any of you know where you can find c40 tie plates that fit the N scale ties?
In my opinion it would be insanely good looking to have that kind of details on the track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:15 am 

Athabasca Scale Models (http://www.athabascashops.com) makes N scale tie plates for code 55 rail. I have some of them, and the etchings are of high quality. I've been planning to try them with code 40 rail (ME), but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think it would work well, even though the foot of the c40 rail is narrower.[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:00 am 
Might also add another question, are theese detail parts something that Fasttracks have any plans to stock in the future?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next