Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:44 am 
Hello Gents,

I was laying some turnouts for a client today and had to solder a pc tie to the end of the turnout to maintain gauge.
well I used a piece of Atlas flex (the new code 55 flex) and noticed that the rail head is finer (thinner) than the Micro engineering rail I'm using. Significantly so, matter of fact under magnification the rail head has the slightly rounded shape of the prototype and the lip on the top is thinner also.

As much as I can tell (without a micronmeter) the rail also appears slightly shorter (not quite as high) as the Micro engineering rail, this could be because the web (bottom) also appears thinner. The lip (when viewed from the side isn't as thick also. Overall I believe the rail is much better than the Micro engineering rail. Of importance to us besides the visual impact (because we use the jigs) is how does the width of the rail base compare. Again best as I can tell without the (M thingy) is it appears to be identical. So the Atlas rail should fit the Fast track jigs as does the micro engineering rail does. There might be a small issue since the
head appears finer so I would use the gauge to check it while handlaying.

Conclusion:

Since we are all for finer looking track, and those of us whom have decided to use code 55 rail (maybe for mainline use or otherwise) check out the Atlas flex. It should come out of the tie strip pretty easy.

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:15 pm 

Rob,

After measuring two samples of ME code 55 rail the sizes are as follows:

Rail Base = .052
Rail Height = .056
Rail Head = .027

Atlas code 55

Rail Base = .052 to .056
Rail Height = .055
Rail Head = .026 to .028

The Atlas code 55 fit in the fasttracks #8 jig that I have. It didn't seem any looser or tighter than the ME code 55.

I to noticed that when ME code 55 and Atlas code 55 are compaired that the Atlas rail looks a lot better.

Under a magnifier I also saw the more rounded shape of the Atlas code 55. The ME code 55 seams to have a flat head.

I made these measurements using a digital caliper on two seperate pieces of Atlas code 55 flex track and took measurements in serveral different places.

I made the same measurements on two pieces of ME code 55 rail taking measurements in several different places.

I don't see why Atlas code 55 flex track rail would not work in the fasttrack jigs but it would be more expensive than the ME code 55 rail.

John Butler

Post subject: Atlas verse Micro E's
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:14 pm 
Hello John,

I got a get me one of those some day (digital calipers).
Yes it would be more expensive, but I think the extra fine appearance is worth it. I'm queried Atlas on whether or not they intend to import some rail without ties. But it doesn't look good, something about regulations, (metal content perhaps) anyway, I could always use the flex tie strips for something.
'
Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:03 pm 

Rob,

Build a #8 turnout using Atlas code 55 rail. The turnout needed more than one rail to complete. I believe that there is a slight difference as the Atlas rail has a better profile from the top than the ME code 55. The ME turnout seems flatter from the top.

I did have some problems when using the Point Form tool. The Atlas rail did not want to slide through the groves when making the points and frogs. I had to take the tool apart to get the rail out somtimes.

This may not be a problem as the point form tool wears out.

The Atlas code 55 is on the left and has the extra PC tie. The picture could be better.

John Butler

Attachments:
File comment: Atlas & ME Code 55 Turnouts
P5020010.JPG
P5020010.JPG [ 163.94 KiB | Viewed 9071 times ]

Post subject: Atlas code 55
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:08 am 
Hello John,

Yes even with the poor picture, the rail on the Atlas does look better. Now what to do with all those tie strips?

Rob

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]