Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hand laying track
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:53 pm 

Just curious if anyone is hand laying N scale code 55 track. If so, are you spiking it or gluing it? I've seen videos of folks doing HO but N scale. The only place I think I may use this is if I am putting in something like an S. I can't really use a jig.

Or should I pre-bend the track, then solder to PCB ties, then lay wood ties?

Post subject: Re: Hand laying track
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:59 pm 

I'm not into N scale but I will say that the method you choose to use should be one that you are comfortable with. The issues that I see with gluing the rail down are first holding it in place while the glue dries. If you use a glue that allows you to adjust the rails once down you will have to have some method of keeping it from moving around while the glue dries. If you use a fast setting glue you will run into issues with getting the rails in place properly before the glue sets.

Probably the best advice would be to set some PC ties out in place and solder the rails to the to hold the track in place and shape. The issue here is that the wood ties are usually thinner than the wood ties so gluing the PC ties down first is not a good idea. A reasonable idea would be to get the straight track template and solder the rail along one side of the PC ties and then use that spacing to place and glue down the wood ties. Once you have that side in place on the layout and secured, use a three point gauge to set the other rail in place while soldering it to the PC ties. Once that is done you can secure the other rail using the method of your choice.

I have found that for HO scale at least the spikes themselves are not long enough to penetrate the cork roadbed and the wood ties. Using the shorter spike for N scale may have the same result. I personally like the look of 4 spikes in each tie and I have found that the rail stays firmly in place, while this does take longer to get the work done. Many others will tell you that spiking down every 4th tie will work I prefer the look of every tie having spikes holding the rail in place. Its amazing how strong those little spikes are when you use them that way.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]