[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - #7 Turnout - Frog Isolation Gaps

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:10 am 

The isolation gaps for the frog on the frog point rail end of the frog have been somewhat problematic. I expected to have some cleanup to do making sure that any burrs from sawing the gaps with the jeweler's saw would not cause any shorts. When I viewed the rail gaps I noticed that the base of the frog rails on the side of the gap away from the frog were actually touching each other. At first, I thought I had probably not correctly positioned the frog point rails when soldering them together or likewise had the frog point rails out of position when soldering them to PCB ties in the fixture during assembly. I did use my NMRA gauge to check the flangeways when soldering them into position in the fixture(they will slide back and forth a little so you really need to gauge them) so I think I got them in the correct position based on the gauge. I thought about it for awhile and came to the conclusion that perhaps I should file away some of the rail base on the inside of the frog point rails before soldering them together. That way when the isolation gaps are cut in the rail I can be assured that the rail bases won't be touching each other. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Earlier in the construction phase I noticed that I had to remove more of the rail base on the stock rails than the instruction video called for so that the point rails would move into position against the stock rails properly. I'm thinking this is another little idiosyncracy with the #7 turnout. I have built some #6 turnouts and the angle of the frog point is much wider and there is no chance for the rail bases to be in contact with each other after the rail gaps are sawed. I'm thinking that this is probably or at least could be an issue for the other longer turnouts as well. Would appreciate hearing from anyone on this.

I've got another dozen or so #7's to build in the near future and certainly want to figure out how to avoid spending the evening reworking turnouts for this problem.

Inprinter

Inprinter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:37 am 

As I am understanding your problem, could you just cut the gap further, a tie or two, down the line to where the rails are diverging slightly more? Of course this means adding another tie past the last for soldering.

In my fixture, #6 slip switch, I have to file slightly some of the stock rail foot so that I can slip on the point rail joiner because the rail by NMRA requires the code 55 rail feet to be touching for correct spacing.

thad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:58 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:45 pm 

I wound up using a micro saw to remove the railbase on the back side of the frogpoint. That leaves a really nice gap there between the two railbases after the electrical isolation gap is cut into the rails to isolate the frog. I cut that railbase away after making the frog point but before soldering it into the turnout.

Inprinter

PS. Really think some consideration should be given to modifying the N Scale #7 turnout jig so that the 2 PC ties are located at least one more tie position away from the frog.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]