Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:11 pm 

It seems that in order to get the point rails to fit up nicely to the stock rails I have to remove more of the rail base than what is removed during filing in the point rail fixture. The fixture pretty well determines how much of the base is being removed during filing operation. I tried removing more of the rail base on the stock rail but that didn't seem to help a whole lot. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Inprinter

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

In some instances (turnout number/scale) this may be required. It is an issue I have been trying to understand for some time. Mathematically, they should match up fine, but I have found that sometimes this isn't the case and a bit of extra material needs to be removed to get the points to match the stock rail.

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:49 pm 

Tim,

Thanks for the response. I was beginning to think it was something I was missing in the process. I watched the videos countless times and have built about 9 or 10 turnouts so far from this #7 N Scale set of fixtures. Watching the videos so many times and comparing my results to what is shown in the video more or less clued me into the fact that I had a problem with the point rails fitting the stock rail. For now, I am just removing a little more of the base of the rail after removing from fixture. I also do a test fit of the 2 rail pieces in the fixture before soldering in place as well.

Inprinter

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]