[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Throwing Turnouts

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Throwing Turnouts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:47 am 

My new (n scale) layout will be operations focused. All turnouts will have the frogs controlled by Hex Frog Juicers. Two turnouts controlling the return loops will be automatically thrown by DCC. All other turnouts will be hand thrown. All of the hand throws I have seen commercially are too obvious and and I would like advice on alternates.

My first thought is to use a mini or micro switch (in brief testing, it appears the switch is strong ernough to hold the points). The switch's use would be entirely mechanical -- no electrical use. File off most/all of the slide. Drill a hole into what is left and insert/glue a wire that would then poke through a hole in the turnout draw bar. The wire through the draw bar could be made into a switch stand. The switch could even be hidden mostly under the draw bar.

Please tell me whether or not you think this is feasible and suggest best switches and materials to implement it. Also, I would like to hear your favorite alternatives.

Post subject: Re: Throwing Turnouts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:59 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:18 pm 

Chris,

Im extremely interested in your technique for turnout control. Are there any more pictures available than what you show on your site? Especially construction photos?

Also who was your supplier for the DPDT slide switches? As for the comment about the spring, I was planning on using brass rode with several back and forth bends made with a pair of flat pliers. This would creat a spring in the brass connecting rode as well as additional strength to hold the points to the rail.

Ed

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:20 pm 

What do you guys/gals think of this product. :D

http://www.singletrackhobbies.com/ecommerce/proto.asp

This item is called ProtoSwitch. It is a completely hands free turnout controller. It works on any scale that can use a stall motor like Tortoise or Switch Master. There is a reed switch that mounts under the ground cover that activates the circuit when a magnet attached to a conductor or breakmen is placed over it. It can be used as a momentary (main line) or a latched (yard/industrial) output. It also will plug right into a Tortoise. Also, it has 4 flickering outputs that simulate flares for train protection. It runs on 12 volts DC, real easy to install. Pretty cool stuff. :shock:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]