Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Throw bar length
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:55 am 

Could someone explain to a novice, me, what determines the minimum throw bar length. I had been using Atlas code 55 turnouts with their code 55 ut snap switch machine and just clipping off one side but my new layout has tightly packed switches that I want to build with fixtures, can you throw the point from under the center line? Another idea was to bury below the trackbed with a cap to protect from ballast, like the modern prototype.

Post subject: Re: Throw bar length
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:05 pm 

I think the length of the throwbar is probably dependent on how you are going to actuate the throwbar. If you are using an under the layout switch machine and have the throw rod from the switch machine to the turnout throw bar attached about the center point of the throwbar between the point rails, then it probably doesn't need to be any longer than the adjacent crossties. If you are going to use a ground throw device(like a Caboose Industries ground throw) then the throwbar tie will have to extend far enough out on one side to facilitate a connection to the ground throw throwbar. Typically the groundthrows mounted on one side or the other of the turnout tend to take up about 1-3/4" of space out from the edge of the crossties in N Scale. It could take more or a little less distance depending on clearance requirements of your rolling stock. An NMRA clearance gauge should help you determine if your rolling stock is going to clear the ground throw. You don't want your rolling stock snagging the ground throw as trains pass through the turnout. If the adjacent tracks are really running close together and your space is limited and makes using ground throws somewhat difficult to fit in then you probably are going to have to throw the turnout from below the layout with a switch machine of some sort, manual or electric(electronic).

Inprinter

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]