Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:54 pm 

I bought some ME code 40 rail (36" lengths) a year or so ago and then last month I realized I was running short and ordered some more (18" lengths this time). When I started using rail from the latest shipment, I noticed that the rail profile is different - the newer rail has a much narrower head. I think the newer stuff looks a lot better; unfortunately I've almost completed my entire layout with the older stuff.

I realize that the 18"is simply cut up 36" lengths, so that shouldn't be the difference. Has Micro Engineering changed their code 40 rail in the last year?

In the photo below I've included two pieces of each "variety". Can you tell which is which? Unfortunately my limited photography equipment and skills prevent me from getting a decently focused end view of the rail.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:37 pm 

Follow-up question:

Is the rail feet the size size as the old one? Because otherwise it might influence the position of the rails in the jigs?

Everybody can shovel, firing is an art

Firing this train was more fun then hard labor :-) © R. de Water

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:00 pm 

Caliper the rail base - or just do a test fitting. Would be interested to know the base, railhead and the height actual sizes.

Won't make all that much difference - can't be more than a few thousandths difference in terms of the affected gauge line. Fitting to the older rail can be easily accomplished by a stroke or two with a file along the rail heads.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:36 pm 

Old rail: head = 0.023 base = 0.038 height = 0.043
New rail: head = 0.017 base = 0.038 height = 0.043

You're right in that from an operational standpoint it's not difficult to join the two profiles together by just filing off the difference near the joint, but my concern is the appearance (which is the whole reason for using code 40 in the first place). I'm building a yard and difference is noticable between parallel tracks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:44 pm 

That is a very interesting observation. I have only bought one pack (33 pieces I think) of code 70 M/E rail, but I will make sure that I keep one sample and compare it to the next pack I buy.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]