Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: turnouts
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:19 pm 

Not sure I am using the right terminology. Ok, lets say we use the #5 turnout jig build a turnout, what radius of track would be used to turn the tack back so that the diverging trail of the turnout eventually becomes parallel to the original mainline.

like this:

-----<=======

Ok that looks really bad, looks more like a wye than a turnout... But I'm lazy and dont feel like trying to create a pic. Anyway I think it gives an idea atleast of what I'm asking.

Ed

Post subject: Re: turnouts
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:10 pm 

In most cases bringing the diverging side of the turnout back parallel to the main can simply be done by eye as the curved part of the track is fairly short. Trying use a specific curvature and length is mostly more work than is needed for this.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:32 pm 

Indeed - the answer is almost infinite. In N scale it would be anywhere from 6" to over 100 feet radius! (However usually matching the diverging closure rail radius in the reverse mirror image).

At issue is where do you start the curve (how far from the frog point); AND how far away till you reach the parallel point; AND what is the center line separation. Of course too gradual will mean really wasted space. To sharp will make for reliability and operational problems.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:44 am 

As a suggestion to this process use another turnout of the same hand lined up so as to be parallel to the first n your parallel alignment with the two diverging routes aligned. Mark the points where the point end match the centerline of the parallel side and the centerline of the diverging route. You can make marks along the centerline between the ties if you wish but this is not necessary. You will now have the centerline points for a curve that will match the turnout in reverse.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:38 am 

Heres my thinking though. If I use the fast tracks jig. Use #5 turnouts. And using the jig each one, with some tolerance, should relatively be the same, as if stamped out at a press.

So knowing that each one is generally the same, the curve radius and degree should be the same each time.

Does anyone who has made the #5 turnouts, or anyone working for fast tracks know what those numbers would be to make a parallel siding or spur and the normal 1.25in distance commonly used by Atlas cd55 track?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]