Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:21 pm 

I have some requests of our hosts going forward.

First, can the printed tie templates please match the quicksticks? I was waiting for some quicksticks so I used the printed templates to solder a tie one past the end of the quicksticks. Well, the printed version and the quicksticks were different, so I had to move them, which was a minor PITA.

Second, when removing the edges of Quicksticks I've had a few cases where some of the pilobond was stuck to the fingers of the part that is removed. This isn't a real problem, but creates a little extra mess. I wondered why these fingers existed. I would prefer the quicksticks were cut so the outside bits fell away as well.

Third, I wish the Quicksticks had fewer attachment points, or weaker ones. It seems like it sometimes takes too much effort to detach the edges. Perhaps half as many of the attachment points would work.

Fourth, I still wish on the frog end the jig had a PCB tie just past the end of the quicksticks. Having the rails attached to only a single tie is too weak. I do this manually, but it would be far quicker and easier if it was part of the jig.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

These are all valid requests, and I wish I was aware of these when I initially designed the QuickSticks as now there are literally thousands of these in our library and making even a minor change in design has to be considered carefully.

There are a few of the more popular sizes where I have removed the "fingers" between the ties of the QuickSticks, as this does make removing the frets easier. The tab sizes are now as small as we can make them while still maintaining enough structural integrity to allow the QuickSticks to be handled without falling apart.

I do get requests from time to time for an additional tie pocket beyond the gap in the frog. Again, adding this to the library of fixtures we now have would be a major undertaking. What we found is while the turnout can be a bit weak, if it is mounted to the QuickSticks prior to cutting the rail gap, this isn't an issue.

Hope this is helpful,

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]