[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - new fixture(s) suggestion

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:09 pm 

Hi all,
what about some EASEMENT fixture, either in spiral shape or in multiple decreasing radius? I think that lots of track builders would find such fixtures extremely useful, IMHO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:51 pm 

Now thats a great idea for a fixture. I would certainly be interested in an easement fixture if it could be produced. It would make the track have a consistant look.
Cheers
Ian

http://scalemodcommunity.org
http://mnamodelrr.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

Oooo... I can just hear Tim cringing over this...

Easements are notoriously difficult to design and draw. Plus there are just so many different sizes. I suspect it is unlikely we will be offering them any time soon.

Tim may have some additional comments however.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:23 am 

Actually Easements are not that hard to free lance if you use the Fast Tracks "Platform tools" to layout the easement. simply build the turn you need and attach it to your table then use the platform easement tool and align it with the existing radius where you need it. Trace the easement on the table top attach your cork, homosote, or what ever you use for roadbed then retrace the easement on the roadbed top. Next glue the ties to the roadbed and allow the glue to dry completely you only need to spike down the rails in place. since there is no switch points involved it is actually very easy. I highly suggest you pre drill the spike holes one at a time as you go and remember to spike one rail down completely and then use a rail gauge for what ever gauge your using to align the second rail and attach it to the rails carefully one spike at at time.
When it's done you can add yourself to the list of old timers that only hand laid all the track on their models because there were no ready made track or fast track fixtures to assist building their Railroads.
Good Luck and happy Modeling.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:54 am 

Except that as I understand it the platform tools aren't currently being sold. Has that changed?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:33 pm 

Wow I didn't realize they were on temporary hold because of production problems.
I bought a set of HO and a set of HOn3 platforms on the very first day they were offered and have been using the heck out of them laying out my new Railroad. let us hope they start up production of them again. They are one of the best Model Railroad tools I've every bought and if they restart production I highly recommend buying a complete set in what ever scale your building in. they really are fantastic layout tools. in the mean time try to find the NMRA standards chart for building easement tracks it will be the next best thing for laying out what you need.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:39 am 

Is there any word on when these may go back into production? There are some pieces I'd like to get but I'll need to see them again to decide what I would need.

Also, while I would not need one myself, would a very simple fixture (one piece of straight "track", possibly dual-gauge for those needing it) to be used as a surface plate be worth considering? If the fixture stock is stiff/flat enough to be used for that purpose it would be trivial to make.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:22 pm 

Standard gauge Platform in HO scale is the same size as a Duel Gauge platform in HO/HOn3. HOn3 platform alone is smaller than HO and they don't actually offer any duel gauge platforms you just use the standard gauge platform for duel gauge so what are you asking I'm not sure what your getting at?
I bought two 24 inch radius complete circles and a complete 26 inch inch radius circle HO scale and I bought a 18 inch radius circle in HOn3 as well as 2 HO #6RH turnout & 2 HO #6LH turnouts and the same turnouts in HOn3 2 #6 LH & RH and 2 LH & RH #4 HOn3 turnouts and I got a LH and RH HOn3 E-C and the HO E-C multi Radius Easements Platform sets that graduates at 1/2 inch increments from 17 inch Radius to 48 inch radius and I also got a bunch of other pieces including a few different HO and HOn3 crossings at different degrees and a couple 3 foot long multi piece straight sets for both HO and HOn3. and so far these have really been all the lay out tools I've needed so far best of all is they match my fast Tracks Turnouts perfect .
I also bought the two HO/HOn3 Duel gauge switch building fixtures one for LH &RH HOn3 on left side and one LH & RH HOn3 on the right side. There is a bonus in buying duel Gauge fixtures is I can Build # 6 RH or LH HO standard gauge turnouts and RH & LH HOn3 narrow gauge #6 switches as well as Duel gauge HO/HOn3 #6 turnouts and they are clean and smooth to operate and are both DC & DCC compatible. in fact I have never had HOn3 go threw a switch and not hesitate even in the slightest and have the whole train follow threw behind with no trouble ever.
I do need to talk to Tim I think to see if I can Talk him into building #4 Duel gauge HO/HOn3 turn out fixtures.

I believe I aced the Platform Kit if they ever decide to put out sets only thing I would add is a complete set of crossings in what ever scale anyone would order and a scale slip switch and a set of turn out starting from #4,5,6,7,9 10 & 12 and add two of each. you don't really need Left and rights because the platform switches are reversible by just flipping them over OH and don't forget a 2 way "Y" and a 3 way turnout.
This Platform Kit would be good for sales because once you lay out a track plan and get everything set you would then know exactly which switch building fixtures you will need to buy in order to build them.

anyway ex-plane what you meant
in your last comment Thanks RGD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:45 pm 

This is a surface gauge and would normally be placed on a strictly flat, rigid surface (a surface plate) (photo taken from the Micro Mark catalog):

(!empty($user->lang['ATTACHMENT'])) ? $user->lang['ATTACHMENT'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'ATTACHMENT'))):
Surface gauge.JPG
Surface gauge.JPG [ 27.24 KiB | Viewed 10313 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:29 pm 

no sorry that wouldn't help wrong kind of fixture.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]