[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Railway platform

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Railway platform
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:25 pm 

Given that we have had a cold December (avg -20 to -35 per day), I had time to build my layout. The construction of the benchwork is all but over.

What, if anything, should I cover the base (i.e. top of the benchwork). As for now, I have a 0.6 mm hardboard screwed down as the sub-base, and wonder if I should cover it with pink styrofoam (around 10-15 mm)?

I want the railways to have the ditches beside them, just like they look on the Canadian prairies. Just nailing the rail to the hardboard will not do that. If styrofoam is not good, what else should I use?

Give me your thoughts...

Happy New Year!

Last edited by sambear on Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Railway platform
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:40 am 

sambear,

Your hardboard will not provide enough stability. Most modelers use 3/4" plywood (19mm) as the sub-base. For actual roadbed on top of the plywood I recommend using the Homabed prepared Homasote roadbed from California Roadbed. For handlaying track, use of spikes, and long term stability, the roadbed and its sub-roadbed need to be a solid foundation. Many use cork roadbed - but it does not suffice for spiking. You should also consider the FastTracks newest track forms made from wood which is also hold spikes exceptionally well. The track and its foundation are the most important part of a long lived and reliable model railroad.

Many have indeed used a foam board - but only the denser pink or blue insulation foam. However, this must be glued down well to a more substantial base than your hardboard - otherwise it acts as a sound board and makes serious noise when the trains run. If you use the foam insulation board, you should then add the Homabed or the wood track forms roadbed on top of that to get the ballast rise you want for the side ditches.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:25 pm 

The layout is only 24" wide and is held by 16 screws per 24" x 48" sheet. A 2x4 and two 1x4 cross braces anchor every sheet, the legs are 2x4, the L-girders are 1x4 and 1x6.

I like the idea of pink foam insulation, but with what glue do I attach it to the sub-base and the FastTracks roadbed?

Thanks for the help...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:51 pm 

Sambear,

May I suggest Elmer's Carpenter glue (not the plain white stuff).

Chuck L.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:51 pm 

sambear,
I agree - the carpenters glue works well for attaching the foam sheets. I have a preference for Titebond II over the Elmers - it's a bit tackier and holds very solid after set up. Given your 24" depth, that will work well. I would still recommend an actual roadbed on top of the dense foam.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:32 pm 

Yes, I will add a strong base for the rail, likely hardboard 6 mm (1/4") underneath the rail. I will have to go and buy the dense pink foam, about 10 mm or 1/2") and then attach the ties to it. Titebond II is likely what I will use to connect.

Again I feel very happy for the help; just wish I could do the same more often. Guess now I have to wait for a day when the storms slow down long enough so I can drive to Saskatoon and buy what I need.

Thanks again...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:05 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]