Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Energy for layout
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:14 pm 

I am building my layout and now need to determine my wiring and engine needs.

Essentially, the mainline run of the railway is around 80' (25 meters), it will also have two yards - moderately sized. I have the Digitrax Super Chief starter kit, do I need any more energy? Would a Tech III power source work as a booster or will it interfere with the DCC?

Also, for the wiring, I guess bigger is better for the main bus; and from track to that line, what gauge should I use?

Any help, advice would be very appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Energy for layout
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:11 am 

sambear,

The Tech II is a DC power pack. It won't work with DCC.

The Digitrax system should have a power booster (I think built in with that model - I don't have Digitrax).

You should have plenty of power with a single booster. It's not the run of the track - but more how many locomotives and other power draw components that matters. With DCC you can have 'dozens' of locomotives running all at the same time. You should spend a LOT of time looking through the wiring for DCC site (http://www.wiringfordcc.com/). Look out though, that site has some information that technology has overcome since it was first presented. Join up with one or more of the DCC specialty web forums for DCC issues - there are several and one especially for the Digitrax system.

For wiring, you should STRONGLY consider a POWER buss under the layout using AWG #12 wires. I prefer the stranded #12 - but using regular household wiring with solid #12 works just as well.

Wire drops from the track to the power buss can be #22 or even #24 wires. The drops need to be short (6" - 8") and I prefer the solid wires for the drops as they are easier to handle and solder to the rails. You ideally want a drop wire from EVERY piece of rail. Many will argue that one every 6 ft (two sections of flex track) is all that's needed. I simply disagree, for reliability, never rely on rail joiners for electrical connection.

You can remove the wire insulation around small sections of the power buss wire and solder all the wire joints - or - you can use the scotch 'suitcase connectors' for connection. The Scotch connectors crimp and make a fine connection (especially with the stranded #12).

For DCC and wiring - go to the specialty forums.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:01 pm 

The standard DCC power booster from Digitrax will provide 5 amps. That will run 4-5 average HO engines, assuming they are running quality motors, not the old stuff from 20 years ago. If you are running more than 4 or 5 powered engines at one time, then you will need a second power booster and divide your layout into power districts, each with its own booster. Just remember that a district can only handle so many engines.

AS Ecammey said go to the DCC forums for best info or to Digitrax web page for best info.

Good luck, and as stated good wiring is needed to run any layout.

Kurt

SP was king of the road, Cotten Belt will run forever! D&RGW will rule the hills!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:07 pm 

You may also want to consider getting additional circuit breakers and dividing your layout up further. This will prevent your entire layout from shutting down if there is a short in one district. In addition, it will make it much easier to trouble shoot should you have a "rogue electron" running around in your layout. Each district can be examined seperately to narrow down the problems.

Also, the rule of thumb of 1 loco = 1 amp is a good rule, but you should also understant the draw for each of your locomotives. The newer motors draw far less than the older ones and the max amp of the motor is at stall value. All of your locos will not always be running at stall value so even that can be fudged a little. Another factor to figure in to your loco load is the DCC decoder. If you are using a SoundTraxx Tsunami in the loco that also will draw some current. For example, on my Sn3 layout, I have all PBL steam locomotives with Tsunamis. I know that the K-27 I have has a stall current (with the Tsunami) of .66 amps. This means that if I have a 5 amp circuit, I could run 7.5 similar locos off of this circuit and be well within the operating limits of the circuit. If I had no stationary decoders (they typically don't have a significant power drain) or other power drains on that curcuit I could probably run 8 or 9 locos on that curcuit.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:46 pm 

Thanks.

I went to a DCC web page that ed mentioned and read of lot of it. Today I bought a Digitrax PM42 to split the areas into four circuits and help build the layout better.

I have about 15 locomotives but, of them, probably four will run at the same time.

This site is great and I am learning a lot from everyone.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]