Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stock Rail Bends
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:54 pm 

As I have built more and more turnouts and am now mounting and using them I have noticed that quite
a few of the turnouts I've built have had difficulties with the straight point closing properly against the
curved stock rail. While Tim does sort of mention bending the curved stock rail in the video presentation
the overall impression is that you should have this rail curved all the to end of the point pocket. I have
come to the conclusion that this impression is incorrect. I have built several new turnouts that have the
curved stock rail slightly bent at the point pocket but the curve not starting until after the taper of the
pocket ends. the result is the straight point now snuggles up very tightly to the curved stock rail such that
the end of the point virtually disappears into the curved rail. This minor change has improved the functionality
of the turnouts I've built.

I should also note that this problem really came to light using a Wye switch which seemed to derail just about
everything that went through it no matter which side you wanted to go to. The new switch works much better.

Post subject: Re: Stock Rail Bends
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:07 pm 

hoborob,

Good observation and recognition. Prototype turnouts (most but certainly not all - there is an abundance of exceptions for any declaration), will have a 'kinked' joggel or 'Z' bend right at the points, and then the stock rail diverge away toward the point heal at a straight angle for the length of the points before the curvature matching the closure rail begins. With straight point style model turnouts (not curved or bending points) keeping an accurate and proper gauge requires the some approach. Even with curved (and bending) points turnouts, the straight route and the point fitting to the curved diverging route needs that same offset and clearance allowance on the diverging stock rail. Tim's video and his instructions makes mention of this and its a subtle distinction that bears more attention.

Thanks for reiterating the emphasis.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]