Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:56 pm 

I just purchased a standard fixture for No 6. Turnouts. I noted that Tim Warris mentioned in the ?Building a Turnout in a Fast Track Assembly Fixture? video that the standard fixtures are designed to work well with NMRA RP 25 wheelsets in regards to the dimensions of the frog. I prefer to use semi-scale Code 88 wheelsets whenever possible but I still need the ability to run RP 25 wheeled equipment. Does anyone have experience with using turnouts built with the standard fixture and Code 88 wheels? I understand that it is possible to fill in the frog to keep the wheel from dropping in, but I wonder if this is the best solution. Should I instead return my fixture before I use it for a one designed for Code 88 wheels. I am however concerned about losing the ability to run RP025 wheeled equipment.

Also of note, the layout I am building features the San Jose branch of the Western Pacific and as such the speeds that trains will be operated at are going to be relatively slow branchline speeds.

Gary Gealy
Daphne, AL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

While the fixtures are designed specifically to work with the RP-25 wheels, I have also used code 88 wheels with no noticeable issues.

There may be some slight wheel drop when rolling a single truck through the frog, but a complete car seems to work fine. I would not be too concerned about using code 88 wheelsets on turnouts built in the fixtures following standard procedures.

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:30 pm 

Thanks Tim, I appreciate the fast response.

Gary Gealy
Daphne, AL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:59 am 

Hi Tim,

I use only Code 88 wheelsets, i have some wagons with small diameter wheels ( sigle axle cars ) and i've experienced some wheel drop in the frog area, with the locomotives everything's perfect.
Can i do something to solve that little problem or i shouldn't be concerned about it?

Cheers,

Mário

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:56 pm 

I am using both code 88 and RP25 wheelsets. Im using the #10 fixture. The trick to eliminating wheel drop is to make your frog point razor sharp. Somtimes i make mine sharp enough that the NMRA gauge wont go through it. After assembly I just touch up the sides of the frog point with a small file until the guage goes through. When Im filing the points in the point form tool i usually extend the rail out a liitle further than normal to get it razor sharp.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]