Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Re-motoring a locomotive
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:56 pm 

Not sure whether this question falls appropriately into the context of this discussion group, but if so here it is:

I have a few older Van Hobbies steam locomotives that are in desperate need of re-powering, adding DCC, perhaps re-gearing.

Is there a source (book, manual, web site) to learn how to do the work, determine which motor, gears, etc. are required and essentially not wind up with a locomotive that has two parts sitting astride it once the project is "completed".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:01 pm 

sambear,

Likely you'll get more help and response from the yahoo group repowerandregear. Best way is to get a yahoo ID and go to groups.yahoo.com and search and then sign up on line. You can get signed up with an e-mail as below - but make sure you have some info about your interest to get approved. You'll want to have on line access to see files and search through the group archive.

If you're not aware of the yahoo groups, there are hundreds of RR and modeling groups - some special dedicated prototypes, others general modeling topics. I'm a member of 33 on yahoo groups, and a moderator on three.

Subscribe: repowerandregear-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:14 pm 

Ed:

I went to their site and hopefully my note about the era I am modeling (1955-1960 CNR) suits their needs. With only 200 characters there was not much room to cite more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 pm 

sambear - et. all.,

Signing up for approval at a yahoo groups only needs a few short succinct sentences to show the moderator of the group that you are indeed a candidate for that group's topical area. In short, showing you are a model railroader. The idea is to control the 'public' and especially spammers that are harmful to the e-list discourse. You'll have to rephrase your questions and your advice on to the list itself once you get approved as a member. None of the moderators I know actually contribute answering discourse to specifics on the sign up process - it's just a 'gating' for membership.

I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:52 am 

I joined the yahoo group; asked the regearing, repowering question for Van Hobbies HO locomotives and got a couple of responses. After that, the discussion got changed to Bachmann locomotives and then slot cars???

I had written North West Short Line (NWSL) about parts but never got a response. Read that NWSL was possibly (being) sold by the retiring owner.

Guess I will have to learn on my own. Not a huge issue, but I had wanted to avoid major mistakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:05 pm 

sambear,

It's highly unlikely you'll fine someone who has done and exact conversion. What you get in the lists and resources are tips and techniques to approach your specific needs. It all requires a 'due diligence' of research and evaluation. NWSL does probably have the parts and pieces for the regearing - you'll have to take the specifications and your own measurements. There's a wide array of available motors from various sources for the same exercise.

Review your own components and measurements, research options, take time and patience in 'imagining and engineering' a solution and be prepared to rework the results if necessary as you learn and develop the skills.

It's a hobby - enjoy. The final reward is worth the path of expanding and challenging yourself.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]