Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:40 am 

Hi,

New to the forums here. After about a seven year hiatus I'm returning to the world of model railroading. I previously worked in N-gauge and had a 25'x10' basement layout that was all wired, 80% scenic'ed and running but a divorce and subsequent move to a new house didn't allow taking the old layout with. It had to be abandoned in place and all the motive power/locos/equipment were sold off.

I decided to jump back into the hobby but this time I'll be doing a narrow gauge layout. I'm partitioning off an 12' x 15' area of the basement for the new layout. This time it will be a finished room dedicated with outlets, lights, flooring, etc.

I'm in the track planning stage and I'm using Train Player to help design the layout. It'll be a free-lanced design based on the D&RGW and RGS with some influence from The San Juan Central (anyone here old enough to remember that?)

I found the Fast Tracks site and even though I've never built my own trackage and turnouts before it looks like it'll be a fun experience. This time around I'm going to do more "constructing" than buying stuff out of the box and just putting it down.

thanks for reading....

-G-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:59 pm 

G
Welcome back. I assume that you are going to HOn3 since this was posted in the HO discussions. There have been a lot of advances in HOn3 in the past few years what with the die cast Blackstone and PSC K-27s but you might also consider Sn3. PBL has just announced a Hybrid K-27 (basically die cast) and S is a heck of a lot better for seeing. It does take up a little more space though.

I think your profile said O'Fallon, MO. Did you know that there is an Sn3 Symposium in St. Louis Feb 14-17. Here is the web site http://www.sn3.org/2008symposium/index.htm. Lots of great layouts of all scales, with an emphasis on narrow gauge (but some std gauge thrown in). Clinics and manufacturers and lots of fun. I have two HOn3 guys traveling with me to the Sympsoium just to see the layouts.

No matter which way you go, the FastTracks products are great. Makes hand laying a bunch easier.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:22 pm 

G

I just checked your location on the map and you are 20 miles from the Symposium hotel (Airport Marriot) That is close! You should really come to the Symposium. Pete Smith, the Registrar, says there are currently about 150 folks registered. There will be a lot of narrow gauge information at this Symposium. Hopefully we will see you there.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:02 pm 

Jim,

Thanks for the info on the symposium. I wasn't aware of it. It's right across from the airport where I work (Boeing). Hopefully I'll be able to make it at least one day.

And you guessed correctly that I'm doing HOn3. I ordered a Blackstone K-27 and a PFM 4-6-0 T-19. They haven't arrived yet but I'm looking forward to getting them and at least have something to handle until I start laying track.

-G-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:41 pm 

Jim,

I made it to the symposium on saturday. it was nice. I wasn't able to attend any seminars but did load up on goodies from the vendor room. I managed to snag a Sagami motor for my PFM 4-6-0 and now have a great running loco! I picked up several pieces of rolling stock as well. Very nice displays there as well. JB from Sidetracks Hobbies was very helpful. I wanted to get some craftsman kits but most everything was S gauge. Oh well, at least I got some websites to visit. Plus I picked up a few books from the Heimburger House rep.

Thanks for letting me know about it.

-G-

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]