Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Trouble with hinges.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:27 pm 

Hi guys,

I am almost finshed building a # 6 double slip switch however I'm having trouble with the hinges. Is there some sort of trick to soldering them in place without soldering the switch point into the joiners?

I was thinking about flipping the switch over and soldering the hinge from the bottom, since the tip on my iron is just a tad bit too big to get in those tight spots. Plus, if I understand correctly, I can slide the point on afterwards as long as I'm very conservative with the amount of solder I use and don't get any inside the joiner...correct?

Otherwise its turning out great. I just need to finish the hinges and install the throwbar and its all done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:21 pm 

I slip the joiner on the point blade about 3/16 inch - cut and file. Pull or push out to about 1/2 length (extended 3/32"). Carefully solder back on the rail base bottom - get no solder in the extended part of the joiner.

Using shorten joiners like this the visual impact is very acceptable. Usually the joiner entirely lies between the two ties - occasionally I need to trim out a grove in the wooden tie where the solder lumped up some. I also find the pushing on the base - cut than pulling back out gives a nice fit when slip installed to the closure rail. Not to tight - allows movement - and not too lose. The joiner is soldered to the point and slips on to move on the closure rail.

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]