[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - HOn3 Twist-Ties and Code 55 Rail

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:07 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:23 am 
Site Admin

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:31 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:41 am 
Would using Pliobond along with the spikes do any good?

Thanks Ron & Tim! The account is working fine now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:48 pm 

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:10 am 

SP was king of the road, Cotten Belt will run forever! D&RGW will rule the hills!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:41 am 

I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Post subject: Barge adhesive?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:49 am 

Hi- I have never heard of barge adhesive-would you be so kind to explain it? Is this a brand name? Where do you get it? Thanks, Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:49 am 

Barge is a brand name of a glue (usually in a tube) that is often used in shoe repair shops. In the US it's available in some ACE Hardware stores as well many other hardware and variety stores. Though there are competing glue types and Brands, the formulation of the Barge is supperior for model track building.

Central Valley was a big proponent of it until they changed their molds for press over spikes. Stephen Hatch uses it at Railway-Engineering for his custom line of turnouts with wooden ties.

It is a contact like adhesive when wet, when cured it has some retained flexibility, uses chemical to cure and set (MEK or Lacquer Thinner) and holds extremely well.

Google "Barge Glue" and you'll find many suppliers on the web.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:56 pm 

Does Pliobond need to both on the tie and the rail, or just the rail?

If just the rail, that makes the job of attaching the rail to the ties so much easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:53 pm 

Pliobond, being a thermally activated glue can work just fine by being applied to the base of the rail. You will want to set up a nozzle to spread it nicely and even - not too thick - not too thin. Let set up, place rail on the ties (I'd spike at a few places - even if only temporary).

Fire up a good hot soldering iron, and move along the base of the rail, heating the rail and base to get the set of the glue. Weights moving along behind help to get it nice and well set. Do the second rail the same - only with track gages moving along as well as the weights. Not really a problem with doing both rails at the same time - but you want to keep the heat transferring and moving along a rail base for a 'fair' distance.

Sets up very quickly as the glue cools - but let it cure well before running trains and testing. Keep the weights on for at least a few hours, let it cure for at least a few more hours - reaches maximum cure and set after 24 hours.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]