[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Twistties & Central Valley tie strips

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:04 am 

Hi all

I am looking for advice on using TwistTies with Central Valley ties strips. I bought 106' of the CVMW new 2003 range of ties strips to use on my layout, but I have a "small" problem. The tie strips are .0735" high and TwistTies are .0785" high (according to my digital calipers). I know this is close to the thickness of a sheet of paper but still makes a "bump" coming off the plywood turnout base onto the ties strips.

Should I...

a) Sand the turnout bases (on the bottom) to bring them down to the ties strip height (if yes, what would be the best way?)

b) Shim the tie strips up to the turnout base height.

I have thought of b) more than a) but my issue is to shim with what - paper, styrene sheet, ????

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
Bruce

Last edited by racedirector on Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:45 pm 

Bruce,

Five thousandths is not all that much - be certain that the rails bridge across the change of ties.

You could try (it's what I do at the club when mixing and matching various vendor track components) just a bit of both methods. Sanding the twist ties on the bottom using a cross wise sanding (following the ties lengthwise) of say an 80 grit paper first and follow with a light 160+ paper for smoothing - only need to do for about an inch or so. Don't try and sand the head blocs very much if at all, as then you'll be squeezing the tie bar some. Also use just a good sheet of 20 weight paper for about another inch or so to shim up the CVT ties.

When you select the rails - make certain they come off the twisties part of the installation for at least 2 to 3 inches so that the joint is back onto the level portion of the CVT ties and not right at the abutting joint.

The fitting will go smooth - you can also dress the rail heads with some light passes of filing - but be certain to polish off with some 400+ or so emery cloth to remove any scratches that can collect dirt.

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:02 pm 

Thanks Ed

A combination of methods sounds like a good idea.

Cheers
Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:30 am 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]