[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Twisties & close turnouts

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:12 pm 

Hi all

I am building a new switching layout featuring coke ovens so trackwork can get a little tight. I have a situation where 2 turnouts overlap as seen in the accompanying photo. I printed some #5 turnout templates on overhead paper and stuck them on my full size plan. As you can see, the switchpoints on the LH turnout are right next to the frog/guard rails of the RH turnout. I quite like the look of this and welcome the challenge.

However, I am using #5 TwistIes and need to accurately cut each tie base to fit together correctly. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this without destroying the tie base in the process?

I ask as the templates have a different tie spacing than the TwistTies. I was originally going to cut up templates until I got it right, and then transfer them to the TT's.

Cheers
Bruce

Attachments:
File comment: Overlapping turnouts on the new RF&W
DSCF0995.JPG
DSCF0995.JPG [ 109.56 KiB | Viewed 9611 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:50 am 

QuickSticks will match your templates. The TwistTies are for curving and 'semi-handlaying' the turnouts. Since your plan does not curve - but just closely laps the turnouts, I'd suggest the Quicksticks - trimmed at overlap, and use the PC ties with a fixture to construct. You'll have to also trim PC ties and carefully fit the rails at the overlap point - but you'll get rock solid results. (May want to try shifting the overlap maybe a tie or two away further to ease construction - would be a little loss in compression, but a lot less trimming and fitting in construction).

Of course with TwistTies, you could ignore the templates and built in place after trimming and fitting the TwistTies as your master. You have a challenge either way.

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:03 am 

Hi Ed

Thanks for the suggestion but that (unfortunately) is not an option. I have already bought and (just) received all the TwistTies for the layout, plus I do not own any fixtures. I chose TwistTies as I am handlaying all the track on layout and these made laying the turnouts a little easier. That is coupled with the fact that I don't really like PC ties (no offence to FT at all) either.

Addtionally, I have pretty much exhausted my track supplies budget for this quarter (I can't even get my PointForm tool I wanted) so I am pretty much stuck for now...

Cheers
Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:02 pm 

Bruce,

Then I'd suggest you shift the lap point about two ties, layout the actual flexties and just get started - ignoring the templates. You'll want the headers at the lap point throw bar to be full size and trim the frog ties portions. You may want to substitute the few extra long ties with just plain stripwood pieces fitted up in place. Since you're using flexties you can adjust the lap changes with slight curved compression alignments to create a very nice flowing assembly.

Not having the point form filing blocks is just an inconvenience, as you file frog points and switch blade points, don't 'underfile' - even a bit of sharper over file and fill with solder is preferred. Take time - attack each step as individual objectives - don't be afraid to re-cut and file (the old pieces are useful for trimming and using as guards latter) - assemble with several gages and weights - fit and check before any spiking - have fun!

I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:33 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:23 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:44 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:21 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]