[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - dual gauge

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: dual gauge
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:46 pm 

Can these templates be used to do dual gauge track and turnouts? Do they make dual gauge templates or do you modify HO templates?
Thank you in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:39 am 

Hi fasoule,

We offer dual-gauge fixtures in N/Nn3, HO/HOn3 and S/Sn3 scales, as follows:

N-scale - #6 Code 40, left or right-hand running
HO-scale - #6 Codes 55, 70 and 83, left or right-hand running
S-scale - #6 Codes 55, 70, 83 and 100, left or right-hand running

Please note that you can build a Code 70 and Code 83 turnout in the same fixture using Micro Engineering rail. You can also build just a standard gauge turnout using the same fixture by eliminating the narrow gauge portion.

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:46 am 

In addition, the dual gage fixtures are ordered with narrow gage left and narrow gage right. Makes a difference on which side the common rail runs. Check the web site and the paper templates to be certain which one is correct your your modeling.

In addition to being able to construct a standard gage turnout by ignoring the narrow gage portion - you can construct a narrow gage turnout by ignoring the standard gage - but the resulting narrow gage turnout will have a longer geometry than a number 6 narrow gage alone would have. (That's actually a good thing, but does take up a little more space).

-ed mccamey-
COSLAR RR

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:12 pm 

Thanks for the information on dual gauge turnouts. Is the a correct or prototype side that the ng is on? I see transition tracks for sale on ebay I guess to move from one side to the other.
You mention code 55, 70 and 83. What size is used on dual gauge? Is code 83 too big for ng?
Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:42 pm 

Based on your last message I assume that that you're looking at HO scale. Narrow gauge can be either left or right-hand running depending on your preference or needs. A transition track to switch from left to right or vice-versa can be used but you'll need a different assembly fixture to build left-hand or right-hand common rail turnouts. You can build both left and right turnouts using the same fixture for the same common rail side (right of left) but will need another fixture if you decide to change to the opposite common rail.

I hope this helps.

Terry,
Product Information & Sales

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:11 pm 

Rail codes are both a personal choice and related to your prototype. A lot depends on you view of fidelity vs. the operational reliability. All narrow gage equipment can be made to run well on very small rail. But many come R-T-R desiring a larger rail. Code 83 is certainly too large for appearance, most of the commercial HOn3, especially the dual gage, is available in code 70 and code 55. Some are even smaller with code 40. Since you will be running standard gage as well, code 70 is a better choice - especially with dual gage areas. But that's just my opinion - there are others who would go for the larger rail, and still others who will insist on the smaller rail. Good news, with Micro Engineering rails, either the code 70 or the code 83 works well and interchangeable in the fixture, so you can experiment to find what works well for you. If you do want to go with code 55, that's a separate fixture and good only for the code 55 properly.

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:12 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]