Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Curved crossings???
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:02 pm 
I am thinking about putting a power plant unloading loop on the peninsula in the center of my room. It will be 4 feet wide. I need to have the loop tracks cross each other on a curve. This will be about 20" radius curves crossing each other. It there a way to make a curved crossing with the fixtures or twist ties?? The crossings now are all straight sections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:06 am 

Dan, you can get Tim to make you a custom fixture, see the website for more info
:D
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:42 pm 

dan,
i agree with steve.
curved TO's can be tricky in maintaining the proper gauge, while still maintaining the curve...
having a machined jig would be of immense help.
see if they can make a custom jig for you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:03 am 

Dan, I am not sure of everything on your curved crossings. You did not mention the crossing angle. I have made crossings using a printed template, attaching the PCB ties to it with an adhesive, then soldering tie rail to the ties. Extreme care must be taken to keep the gauge correct, but it isn't difficult. I cut grooves for the frog into a piece of wood, then use this to grind the correct frog points. A machined metal frog tool would be much better, but I get good looking and good functioning frogs this way. Here is one template I have created. It was transferred to JPG for posting, sometimes the dimensions get altered a little when doing this. I use Corel Draw 8 for my templates and print them straight from the program, thus keeping accurate sizing.

Attachments:
File comment: 20 Inch radius X 30 degree crossing
curved crossing templates 2.jpg
curved crossing templates 2.jpg [ 38.47 KiB | Viewed 7454 times ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]